Monday, December 17, 2007

Pre Christmas

Char rolled her eyes when I said, “A whole cul-de-sac full of people and yet I have to do it. I don’t know why it always falls back on me.”

A few years ago, Santa started making some pre Christmas visits in our neighborhood. Santa visits the young kids and leaves things like a small box of candy, a coloring book, a candy cane, or a little toy. The gifts are always wrapped. After all, half the fun is having something to open.
Santa’s visits started a week or so before Christmas. Santa makes deliveries between 5:30 and 6:30 in the morning, before he has to go check on the elves at the North Pole. Every morning Santa leaves a picture of himself on the door so the kids know he has been there.

I was talking to a neighbor and she said her two young kids have already been asking if it’s Christmas yet. Hearing her kids are excited about Christmas, I told her I would speak to Santa. He and I are pretty good friends. I also asked her to have the kids check the porch every morning. It’s a little known fact but Santa can only go down chimneys one night a year - it has something to do with Homeland Security.

However, as I said earlier, “I don’t know why it always falls back on me.” A whole cul-de-sac full of people and yet I'm the one that has to talk to Santa Claus!

Well, I spoke to Santa. He started the pre Christmas tradition this morning. The two little kids had a gift waiting for them. Santa will make sure they do every day through Christmas Eve – at least that what we talked about.

So, what was Char doing while Santa and I worked out the details? She was putting up the tree. Complete with our favorite top ornament.


15 Comments:

Blogger 1 plus twins said...

wow did i hear you right santa leaves something every morning?? that is amazing. i sure wish i knew you when i was little so you could have talked to santa for me!!

i love your tree topper, it sure is better than the new one i just posted about not that long ago. maybe we can switch.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I don't know how much you paid for that tree, but you oughta get your money back.

Otherwise, this is a delightful post. Kids make the best friends, don't they?

10:21 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

I will be checking our porch each morning because, after all, we are children at heart! And, about that tree topper......Don't try to market it:-)

7:08 AM  
Blogger Janell said...

What a fuun neighbors you and Santa are!

2:55 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Santa sure does spoil the kids in your neighborhood.
Does he wear blue curlers like you do sometimes??

That tree topper is definitely NOT an angel.

Enjoy your pre-Christmas covert activities.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

You are a good Santa Ralph!!

Not sure about that tree topper. I never saw one like that before. I have to admit it is different, but it might scare Santa away if he sees it when he comes down the chimney.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

You are a good Santa Ralph!!

Not sure about that tree topper. I never saw one like that before. I have to admit it is different, but it might scare Santa away if he sees it when he comes down the chimney.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I'll bet you like that top ornament? Or do you?
..

10:51 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

It’s a little known fact but Santa can only go down chimneys one night a year - it has something to do with Homeland Security.

You're hysterical, and the tree-topper is a classic. *G*

12:44 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Ralph ~ Loved the tree topper... but that's NO ANGEL up there. That POOR tree! Just wanted to wish you and your family a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS! ~ jb///

9:44 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Well Ralph, I've been scolded by Jamie Dawn earlier in the day and now I see everyone's been having a great time with my pic.
This has Char written all over it. I loved the story and the pic could have been much worse. You could have used one that looked more like me.
I do, however, reserve the right to get even.

And probably will.

12:40 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Man, I want to be you...er, Santa in my next life. I love the pre-Christmas gift idea.

And Aravis is right, that sentence is perfect.

I need a tree-topper like that, maybe the cat would stay away from the tree then.

I'm working towards matching your 20 holiday party record by doubling up on parties. I think I can do it!
IBFOR

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is not just the kid's next door that he does this for ... It is a fact that he does this for kids a 1000 miles away. With a bit of help from the USPS elf. For a guy not being all about Christmas you sure know how to make the memories of a life time.

You are an amazing man,
we love you Santa Ralph!

5:16 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

:) Very interesting tree topper you got there!!


Junie Rose

12:54 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

You are an amazing man...or should I call you Santa!

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home