Sunday, December 23, 2007

Growing Up Ralph - My Christmas Story

(Char and I want to wish all my blogging friends a very Merry Christmas. I also want to thank you for the comments you have left throughout the year and for the stories you have shared on your site – those have been nice gifts.)

Ah, Christmas. That time of year when young children go to bed on Christmas Eve knowing Santa Claus will find their house and leave countless gifts. Every noise they hear is reindeer landing on the roof followed by Santa placing presents under the tree. But, it wasn’t always so. Only a few people know how Santa Claus almost ruined Christmas.

I was perhaps six or seven years old. One of my sisters was born and I think my brother was as well, but he was young.

Following dinner, my Dad told Mom he had to run to a few errands and would be back shortly. I remember my mom smiling at him and telling him to hurry home – after all, it was Christmas Eve.

Mom asked my sister and me to stay in the kitchen and tell her what we wanted for Christmas. This is an important topic for a kid so we were more than happy to stay and talk.

We were going down our mental list of what we wanted for Christmas and my mom was dragging out the conversation with thought provoking question like why did we want a certain gift and what would we do with it. And that’s when it happened. . . .my sister let out a blood-curling scream and pointed at the window. I saw it and screamed - two eyes and a beard staring at us through the window.

I ran. My sister followed. We ran into the bedroom and slammed the door. My sister hid in the closet, not knowing the safest place in the house was underneath the bed up against the wall. That’s where I was.

There was more screaming and crying and then the bedroom door opened ever so slowly. My mom told us to come out and there standing next to her was. . . . Santa Claus!

Forget all those Christmas specials you’ve been watching – this was not a happy reunion between Santa and the kids. Questions like, “Why are you here already?” “Why were you looking in the kitchen window?” And, yes, even “Where are your reindeer?” All questions that needed to be answered before warming up to the guy in the red suit with the beady eyes.

Finally, peace was made and my sister and I told Santa what we wanted for Christmas. There was no way were we getting close to him. We told Santa what we wanted from across the room.

Santa left and a few minutes later, my dad returned. Boy, did we have a story to tell him.

17 Comments:

Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Ralph, What a funny story. Hiding under the bed and keeping minimum safe distance is the way to go with a beady eye guy dressed in red.
Regarding "Pre Christmas", what a wonderful thing to do. Santa sure is making some children in your neighborhood very happy. I still have to giggle at Char's choice of tree topper. Very untraditional - I like it.

Thank you for all your posts this year. I enjoy them all and looking forward to many more in the coming years.

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy-Healthy New Year.

(P.S. could you do more posts of our "Ralph on Fire - Sector F" series?)

11:13 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Been there done that. Only I was doing the scaring.
Good thing you didn't tell him, "I don't know where you're going with this Santa." No telling what might have happened.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Oh boy, Ralph. This brought back memories of Santa visiting me at my house when I was little.
It also brought back memories of my son Taylor's third b-day. We had a Barney party, and my hubby was in the Barney costume. Taylor FREAKED OUT!!! It wasn't until he noticed his Daddy's ankles sticking out below the costume that he whispered to me, "It's Daddy, isn't it?" Luckily my hubby is 6'4" and that costume was too short for him or our son would have had a completely miserable b-day.
Kids are the BEST!!!
I hope you & Char & family have a wonderful Christmas. It's a pleasure knowing fine blog buddies such as yourself and Cliff and Rachel and Janell and many others who are such goodhearted people. I look forward to meeting you all at Blogstock '08.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Ralph, I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. Thank you so much!
Have a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year too.
HAHAHAHAHA! I am still visualizing you hiding under the bed!

6:33 PM  
Blogger 1 plus twins said...

ha ha that is too funny. you need to go read just a mom's blog she had an experience just like that. ha ha

hope you and your family have a very merry christmas.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

Ralph, Thank yo for your kind words on my post. Actually thank you for all of your kind words and comments over the past couple of years. I have enjoyed your posts and your jokes and stories. WHat wonderful words that you put into your blog. I love the fact that you keep on blogging. Looking forward to a great 2008, filled with more of your stories and tales! THis entry was so cute and funny. I love the descripiton of you and your sister, she wasn't as safe because she was in the closet! I bet as grown ups you laughed aobut this one! Have a Merry!

2:27 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Wonderful, Ralph. Merry Christmas to you and Char! And any kids too who will read this.

First things first, yes we all like comments! For some, it is hard to leave one, just being easier to slip in, read, and leave. That is unless what you put really tickles their XXXXX bone (you pick which one, I like the funny bone the best for blogging).
If I've been there, I generally say so. Unless it is a blog that I'm trying to quit on because it isn't a two-way thing.

Your childhood episode is the second wonderful part today. It brings memories, of when I was in the seventh or eighth grade and found out for sure the real skinny on Santa.
He said to me, as I sat on his lap, "didn't I see you over in my creek the other day?" Before the evening (at the school program) I had it figured out. Boo, hoo.
..

9:58 AM  
Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

Santa Claus = Boogey Man. Little difference to a small child.

Funny story, Ralph.

Y'all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Great story Ralph!! I don't ever recall believing in Santa Claus. My Mom refused to lie to us about it so she told us the truth right off. It was no big deal.

I can only imagine how frightened you and your sister were seeing Santa Claus!! In that situation I would have probably needed clean underwear!!

I sure enjoy your blog Ralph and it's a gift all year long just getting to read it. I'm looking forward to Blogstock08 so I can meet you in person.

Warmest wishes to you and your lovely family this Christmas!!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Merry Christmas Ralph. I'll be sure to check my blinds!

8:45 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Once again, another great story. You really need to have them all published! I just told someone the story of your bedroom door... she doesn't have a computer. I have invited her over to read your blog. How famous can you get?????
Hope you all have a wonderful 2008.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Just stopped by to wish you and your wife and loved ones good health and much happiness in the New Year.
Happy New Year!!!

11:18 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

I've thought of this story every time I saw Santa Claus this year.
Thank you for all of the great stories this year,
Indiana Blog Friend of Ralph

7:27 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Ralph, I coulda swore I posted a comment here a few days ago. I must have clacked when I should have clicked, I guess. Anyway, that is a good story.

We hope your Christmas was wonderful. Ours lasted a full week, what with church, friends, kids and grandkids surprising us from out-of-town, and much, much more. One of the best Christmases for us in a long, long time.

Happy and blessed New Year to you and Char, and to those newly weds.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

What a funny Christmas story, but I'm sure that has happened to a lot of kids. I see them in the malls and they are afraid to go near Santa and scream & cry when mom tries to make them get closer to that fat man with the beard. But in your story it would have really been scary even for me because he was peeking in through the window.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Randy and I both loved this story! I could picture it all so clearly. And you are obviously the wisest sibling, to know the best hiding place! *G*

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. :0)

9:30 PM  
Blogger Janell said...

Oh my goodness - I laughed so hard I cried at the thought of a little boy and girl screaming and running for their lives! What a great story.

And I second the motion for more Ralph on Fire Sector F stories.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home