Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Twelve Days of Christmas

At 5:00 AM this morning I heard it again - jingle, jingle, jingle.  I knew I had exactly 45 seconds to hop out of a nice warm bed, throw on some clothes, grab a coat, and get outside.  It’s been like this for a week now but, on the positive side, we are a little more than half way through.

Santa Claus once again picked my cul-de-sac as a test area for his pre-Christmas flights.  Twelve days before Christmas he shows up and leave a small gift for the kids living around us.


He asked me to help again this year.  Fortunately, it’s a pretty simple task.  All I have to do is evaluate his approach to the cul-de-sac and his take off.  I need to report if he comes in to fast or if on take  off he needs more clearance because of the cars, light poles, etc.  It’s a pretty simple job – if you like getting up at 5:00 in the morning.  So far he has done an amazing job flying that sled.  This morning was no exception.


I was shivering when I climbed back into bed, then Char and I had the following conversation:


Ralph:  Man, is it cold and dark out there.


Char:  You know, you can tell him you don’t want to do it anymore.  He’ll find somebody else.


Ralph:  WHAT?  You can’t tell Santa Claus no!  Besides, I owe him.


Char:  What do you owe him?


What Char didn’t know was earlier this year I asked Santa for a favor - a huge favor.  Our daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter had moved back to town and I had asked Santa if he would include our granddaughter, Taylor, in his pre-Christmas flight.  Santa doesn’t like making more than one stop in a town so I fully expected him to tell me no.  Much to my surprise he just smiled and he and said he would be glad to.  I owe him.



Each morning, just like the kids in my cul-de-sac, Taylor, gets a small gift leading up to Christmas.  Our daughter, Tiffany, sent me this picture. It seems like Taylor really likes her Santa hat.

Getting up at 5:00 AM isn’t so bad if it makes kids smile.

8 Comments:

Blogger Live Well, Laugh Often and Love Much said...

I'm glad that Santa picked you.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Fantastic tradition! That smile is worth it all.

1:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taylor has the best santa-like grandpa ever!!!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

That Taylor is soooo cute!!! She is worth asking Santa a Zillion times if you have to.

You've been doing this for a long time, Ralph, and reporting on it.

I watch him too, every year several times. He lands in Central Park in NYC (you can see him on TV). His take-offs never are smooth. I hope he does a better job out West your way.

Thank you for peeking in on my elephants. There is a larger one on the next to top shelf in the picture on the right side. I wouldn't pay $149 for it though. FAO Swartz is expensive.
..

10:31 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Santa does this in the Elf movie.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Well, someone needs to do it.
Taylor's cute as she can be.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I've always loved your Christmas stories, and tales of helping Santa. Taylor is such a cutie! :0)

2:58 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Santa is so lucky to have you to help him. And Taylor is one lucky kid!

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home