Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Reflections

It’s the last week of 2004. If anyone had told me in January what the year had in store, I would not have believed them. There have been a lot of changes; some plan, most were not. It occurs to me that the things I remember most are the “little” things. Here are some of the highlights of my year:

  • Having my son and daughter call just to see how I am doing and watching them grow up, each in the own unique way.
  • Having my wife enjoy her new school and teaching position.
  • Enjoying an afternoon baseball game with my ex-boss who is retired.
  • Eating popsicles on the porch with the neighbor kid.
  • Having coffee with friend.
  • Receiving a Dutch Oven as a gift, this opened up the world of cooking with cast iron.
  • Planting a new tree in the front yard.
  • Having a watermelon seed-spitting contest in the cul-de-sac.
  • Listening to a cowboy poet and watching a movie in the park.
  • Having two great men work with me, making my job a lot easier and more enjoyable.
  • A few weekend getaways with my wife.
  • Having friends over for dinner.
  • Visiting the wineries in Palisade, having a great wine and cheese lunch, and a whole lot of laughter.
  • Having many people with my daughter during her surgery when she was several states away.
  • Trying new restaurants with my wife.
  • Having friends from Lincoln come visit on a couple different occasions.
  • Buying gifts for family and friends just because I want to.
  • Having a friend wait for an hour while I was stuck in traffic and then still offer to buy breakfast.
  • Receiving a nice bottle of wine.
  • Learning to take a nap without feeling guilty.
  • Completing Ride the Rockies, a week long, 500 plus mile, bike ride.
  • Helping with the harvest in Nebraska.
  • Going to a book signing for a man who is now in his 80’s. He rode his bike around the USA and just completed a book about his trip.
  • Taking a road trip to Cabela’s with a friend.

Maybe these aren’t such “little” things after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home