Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Overs

On occassion, I’ve been accused of not acting my age. Last night might have been one of those occasions.

I was in the front yard fertilizing the flowers. Several young kids (ages 3 – 6) gathered in my front yard and I overheard one of them say, “Let’s scare Ralph.”

They moved a little closer and yelled, “Boo” before running around the corner of the house. I pretended not to hear them. Soon they came back and moved even closer. They yelled boo and ran again. I still pretended not to hear them.

The same scenario played out once more with the kids a little closer. This time when they ran off, I hid behind the corner of the house. When they came back around the corner, I jumped out and scared them. They ran off yelling and laughing when one of them yelled out they should turn me into a zombie. Within seconds I was chasing them around the cul-de-sac using my best zombie impression. I was about to catch the six year old when she stopped and yelled, “Overs.”

I know what ‘overs' are but wanted to see how a six year old explained it. She told me, “When you’re playing and don’t like the way it’s going, you call 'overs' and it starts again.”

I knew there were perks to not acting your age.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

I like your young friend's 'overs.' It is either a generational thing or something the Coloradoians invented. We didn't have it in Nebraska, Texas, or New Hampshire. I should know, I do kid things.

I do hide and scare people though, especially women and children.

I am glad you won those medals, it was good that Geno got one. Did he think you were supposed to let him win? A lot of 10-year olds do.
..
LOL your posts! Congrats on your award from Bobbie, where will you put it?
..

8:44 PM  
Blogger Lanny said...

Old Washingtonian, totally down with the overs. Used them as much as I could. Soon my brothers invented an overs limit - way to unfair. Overs were definately a way to go home with dry pants at the end of the day! (TMI?) Overs and uncle saved my bacon many times even if it didn't do much for my pride. Uncle was used for when you were being pummeled or mercilessly squashed. Even used overs in board and card games and definately with my girl friends when playing pretend with dolls or house etc. Sometimes a director just has to call overs and redo the script! These overs not to be confused with easy-ivy-overs when playing double dutch jump rope - Wanna feel young Ralph? Find some older neighbor kids and try some double dutch jump roping! If the neighbor kids are smart though they will have you bring a doctor's release form.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I'll bet your neighbors love you Ralph. Isn't it fun not acting your age. I had never heard of overs before.

12:14 AM  
Blogger bobbie said...

I never heard of "overs" either. What a good idea! Wish we'd had it as kids - wish we had it now.

4:48 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

I'm not sure that I understood "Overs" until now and wish I had known about it this past ten days. I would have been yelling "overs" a lot to the grandchildren.

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will post a comment when I STOP LAUGHING !

7:57 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

FON: that isn't likely.

Overs is a good idea.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

Ralph,
Do you have so many young friends because they think you are a little kid? I mean, you are about their size, and all.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Jerry
Well the truth is most of them can out run me.
Ralph

7:37 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Never heard of "overs!" Uncle, yes, but not overs... Overs makes more sense than Uncle... I wonder where the idea of saying Uncle came from.
Sounds like you had a lot of fun - good for you - good for them.
I think that's what I enjoyed about teaching the little kids - I could act like an idiot and they thought I was so cool... LOL!!!!!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I wanna play! Pleeze!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Ralph,

I came to your blog from Bobbie at Almost There... I love your blog and you sound like you have a great sense of humor! My kind of person!!! I never have heard of "overs" either, but that was a great prank that you pulled on the kids...

Anyway, wanted to congratulate you and read the "Kick Ass" Award blog winners that Bobbie picked and yours is a definite winner!

I'll continue reading your blog and posts! There great!

Congratulations!

Kelly

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home