Monday, July 21, 2008

BlogFeast. . . I Mean Blogstock (Part 3)

You might think feeding people at Blogstock would be overwhelming but it wasn’t. In fact, Cliff referred to it as “practice” – he had to barbecue for golf league the following week.

Saturday’s brunch ran from nine to eleven so people could show up when it was convenient. Due to rain, brunch was on the back porch where pancakes, sausage, and eggs were served. Cliff took control of the oversized griddle making pancakes and cooking everyone’s eggs to order – except mine. When he asked how I wanted my eggs I replied, “Poached”. After a blank stare and a chuckle or two, he mumbled something about where poached eggs belong. I’m not a big fan of poached eggs anyway so I just ate the ones he gave me.

The lot of the cooking was to be done outside so an outdoor kitchen had to be constructed. A cooking table was built and the smoker loaded with pellets. But, that didn’t solve all the problems. If you do any outdoor cooking, you know a lot of time is wasted going inside to the refrigerator. How do you solve that problem?

Easy - you move one outside where it’s more readily accessible. Cliff said, “You know you’re a redneck if . . . you have a refrigerator in your backyard and it’s running.” I did get concerned when Cliff kept saying how much he liked it out there and started talking about building a shed to protect it from the weather. Marilyn did not share Cliff's enthusiasm.
You cannot grill everything so a grate for the Dutch ovens was constructed. Some of the best cobbler you’ll ever put in your mouth came out of these pots. Take a scoop of that hot cobbler and top it with a little ice cream (stored in the outdoor refrigerator) and you knew Marilyn made an outstanding dessert.


Yes, the barbecue chicken was so good you wanted to take a picture of it – and several people did. The roaster oven was full of chicken when we started and empty when we quit. There were also many side dishes prepared by Marilyn, Char, Desiree, and Rachel. Other side dishes and desserts were provided by bloggers and the residents of Tekamah who attended. No one went away hungry except Jerry – who was caught grazing in the cherry tree.

12 Comments:

Blogger bobbie said...

Well, I keep saying it, but it's so obviously true - You guys must have had the greatest time ever. Cliff and Marilyn must really love company and cooking. What kind of eggs did he give you? Sunny side up, or over easy?
Such good friends are pure gold!

7:08 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

The refrigerator is the only semblance of "redneckedness" because everything else is pure class.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wonderful Ralph!! You transformed me back there again! It was great! That BBQ chicken and those cobblers....yummy!!

Great picture of Jerry with the cherry! Looks like it's a bit on the tart side! Haha!

9:33 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Ralph ~ It looks like the FUN continued on after Mrs. LZ and me left the building! I remember Cliff stating that; “You know you’re a redneck if . . . you a refrigerator in your backyard and it’s running.” CLASSIC! More fun memories! ~ jb///

3:51 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Good report Ralph.
Sweet corns ready so come on back.

4:15 PM  
Blogger ralph said...

Cliff
Like it would take a lot to get me to return. An ear of that sweet corn will do the trick.
Ralph

8:51 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I just ate a little while ago, but I'll tell you- my tummy's rumbling now!

Love the outdoor 'fridge. *G*

10:18 PM  
Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

I guess I was caught in the act.

The food was excellent and so was the company too.

Now if we could only get rid of the dang paparazzi.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Ralph, you are correct, no matter what they say about Cliff, he is a good cook!

I wish he would build a cover for that fridge, it is getting rusty in the elements. I hear he turns it off in the real cold of winter to save electicity.

Now about those poached eggs (you know I have an answer for all the problems, just 'ask dr. jim (blog)').
To make poached eggs on a griddle have a bowl shaped metal bowl with a quarter cup of water in it ready for use.
When the egg whites start to harden around their edges, place the bowl (quickly) upside down over the egg(s).
Cook until it quits sizzling, or three minutes, whichever is first.
You will have poached eggs 'on the griddle.'
..
Oh yes, I've never heard any bad words about Cliff, I was just saying if ...
Cliff is a really, really, good guy!
..

1:46 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

BBQ chicken,cobbler and ice cream, my goodness. I should have ate lunch before I read your blog!
A refrigerator outside is ok. My aunt and uncle had one on their patio.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Janell said...

No no; Nellie sez, "You're a Redneck if the refrigerator doesn't run and the door is hanging on by one hinge. And it's sitting next to the washing machine that got blown over on it's side during the last windstorm."

The poached eggs on the griddle sounds like it would work beautifully, Dr. Jim.

Good picture of Jerry.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

There is nothing like a cobble made in a dutch oven. Our boy scout leader loves cooking those cobblers......You are making me hungry. I think you might have found me up in that cherry tree eating cherries with Jerry....yummm.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home