Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Signs Of The Past (Blogstock Part 2)

Remember driving down the road and seeing Bermuda Shave signs? They were a series of three or four signs you could read from the road and you had to read the entire series to get the catchy little saying. They were a thing of the past – at least until Blogstock ’08.

I few clever minds (no, no – not Cliff and I) came up with the sayings then Desiree got creative with some poster board. Early the morning of the fourth, Char, Desiree, Rachel, and I started putting up the signs along two-mile road leading to the Morrow’s farm.

Here is a sampling of the signs that were posted.


























And another. . .




























Just before you got to the turn there was this set. You could tell you were almost there by how well the grounds were manicured. It looked like someone had spent hours on the riding lawn mower!





























Some folks on two mile road got into the action and put up there own signs.

12 Comments:

Blogger Live Well, Laugh Often and Love Much said...

OK OK ....
I know I have have done nothing but give you crap.

So I would like to take this time to take our hats off say how well the grounds were manicured.

Thanks Cliff ! ....LOL !

JOKEING GREAT JOB Ralph. The signs would not have look as good with out the well manicured lawn.

10:19 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Ralph ~ I love it when someone brings back a neat little thing that I had forgotten about... just like these Burma Shave signs! It was a really special time! THX for the MEMORIES (especially those short term ones!) ~ jb///

10:25 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Those are great, and I love that the neighbors put up a couple, too! *G*

11:13 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Those signs were great, Ralph. We had to slow down to read them, missed the first three sets.
In Texas, speed limits are 70 (75-80 on some Interstates) so we forgot these weren't Texas signs.

You guys worked so hard. For those who came later (sorry) it was almost a turn key holiday. I'm glad we got to do a SMALL BIT for the float.
..

7:20 AM  
Blogger bobbie said...

Burma Shave signs! I remember them well! What a great idea!
You guys must have had so much fun - thanks for letting a little of it spill over to the rest of us.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I remember reading a lot of those Burma Shave signs. They sure made long rides more enjoyable!
I like the Blogstock signs. That must have been fun too.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

The signs were great. I'm glad you guys did that.

It sure makes it nice.

When you're workin real hard.

To have the services.

Of a Kentucky Bard.

Burma Shave.
Thanks to the girls for this one.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I'm glad you posted these signs Ralph!! I didn't get any pictures of the signs.

Blogstock 08

Was top of the line

Hope someone is preparing

For Blogstock 09!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Oh the manicured lawn and roadsides were top of the line too!!

Is that mower on your Christmas list yet Ralph??? Maybe Desiree and Nathan will surprise you!! :)

8:00 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Very Creative!

And I agree with Rachel!!!!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Sorry I didn't get a chance to come meet all of you wonderful people. Maybe next year if you do it again. I just finished college (shew!) and have finally found a new job. I'll remember to bring good food for everyone!

5:40 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I had to make sure I read the rest of your Blogstock accounts.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE that pic of Jerry in the cherry tree!!
Great stuff!
I'm also glad you took pics of all those signs.
Those MUST be remembered for all time!!

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home