Tuesday, July 08, 2008

You Know You Had Fun When. . .

. . . you have a revelation and your wife confirms it.

We had been away from home from twelve days. We spent most of the day driving and were setting at a red light less than a mile from the house. That’s when I turn to Char and said, “We ought to take a trip.” She asked me where I wanted to go. “How about we go out to see the kids and stop by Cliff and Marilyn’s?” And with that, the events of the past twelve days started to replay in my mind.

We had gone out to Illinois to see Nathan and Desiree and to our surprise Tiff and Jason drove down from Chicago. We spent a few days together and had a lot of fun.

We went on paddleboats and even with the wind had a lot of fun. This was a great idea dreamed up by Nathan and Desiree.



This might explain why they like the paddleboats so much.


We went to see the traveling Vietnam Memorial Wall. It just seemed like the right thing to do with Independence Day rapidly approaching. It was a somber experience.

Then it was off to Blogstock. Much had to be done in preparation for Blogstock including moving hay. The hay was cut, baled, and needed to be moved prior to being rained on. Here Desiree and Cliff are loading a roll of hay that weighs close to 3,500 pounds.

The float frame was made. The engineering of this framework was a work of art. Cliff and I constructed it so it would stand the test of time or a strong wind which ever comes first. The highlight was when I was on a ladder trying to attach a board and the trailer started swaying. I looked at Cliff who was laughing and he said something to the effect of, “I’m sorry. I’m sorry but the last time I saw a face like that Marilyn was giving birth.” Anyway, we got it built.

Later that night it was off to dinner and karaoke. Here Terry Anderson and Cliff are belting out a song.


The fourth of July had arrived! The float was ready and all the bloggers posed for a few (all right – a lot of pictures) in front of the float. From left to right you have Janell. Cliff, Ralph, Desiree, Lazy Blogger, Jerry,Rachel, Jamie Dawn, Nora, and Jim.

Tekamah, a town with a population of about 1,800, had swollen and main street was lined with people waiting for the parade. There was a lot of cheering and clapping as each float passed by. The crowd truly made you feel special.

Following the parade, it was off to the winery where Phil and June Simpson put on a feast for all of us. While Cliff and I were somewhat nervous because our numbers kept increasing for the luncheon, Phil and June somehow made sure there was plenty of food for everyone.


Then it was time to head to the command center of Blogstock ’08 - a.k.a. the Morrow farm.

Bloggers gathered under the tent to talk, tell stories, and just visit with one another. It was a great setting and a great time.

Julie Morrow was a trooper behind the scenes giving horse rides to the adults. Some of these people had never been on a horse before and Julie was patient and helped them all have a great experience.




Pony rides were also available for the kids and as you can see all the little ‘hams’ took part.

Not enough to do? How about a ride on the four-wheeler. The kids and a few adults took part and all seemed to have a great, great time.

But wait – it was about visiting and getting to know one another which happened under the big top.

There was even a time to sign one another’s blog book. Here's Janell, Jerry and Nora signing one of the books.

July 4th was Independence Day but July 5th was Jerry’s birthday. Rachel had made Jerry a cake and all of us enjoyed it.

At the stoplight, I looked at Char who was staring at me with a smile on her face. She said, “You’re ready to go back aren't you?” The light turned green and I started for home thinking to myself – Yes, yes I am.

More blogstock posts to come.

19 Comments:

Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

Ralph,
What a great recap. I'm glad you got such great photos. Half of mine were blurry.

I wish I was back at the Morrow farm too.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Live Well, Laugh Often and Love Much said...

What and adventure. Maybe now you will like me more being we had so much bounding time ... LOL!
Good Times!
Good Times!

I would do it again in a heart beat !

Great post !

2:10 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I'm not gonna miss this two years in a row. No sir.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Great pictures Ralph!! I'm ready to go back too! Everyone was so nice.

If you enlarge that picture of me and Jerry you can see all the candles on that cake!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Huzzah!!!

6:56 PM  
Blogger bobbie said...

So glad you all had such a great time! Blogstock '08 must have been a blast. Tell us more!

5:01 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Thanks Ralph!
I'm still working on my post, I'm overwhelmed by all of the photographs.
Thanks for thinking of Blogstock!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

What a blast! It doesn't sound like a vacation can get much better. :0)

10:38 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

What great pictures! I came over from Rachel's to see more of Blockstock '08! It looks like everyone had a GREAT GREAT Time!

1:57 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Great post Ralph. You done good. I'll get in gear one day. Really.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

It was a sheer delight to attend Blogstock!!
You all did so much work to get it all ready and to make it a success!!
I had fun spinning my yarn about the TRUE happenings at Blogstock, and I forgive you & Cliff for all the tortures you put us all through.
Honestly, I genuinely enjoyed meeting every one, and you are all very special people. I feel honored to have been able to come to Blogstock and to have gotten to know so many neat people through this marvelous thing called blogging!!!!!!
I am enjoying reading all the various accounts.
I have a lot of other blog buddies to get caught up with over the next few days. I am WAY behind on my reading!!!
Thanks for not posting the most unflattering and hitonious of my horse riding photos. The ones taken with my camera are simply ghastly!!!!! I had no idea that riding horses can make one look fatter!!
:-)
Time for me to eat less truffles!!!!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Wow - I need to get my azootik to Nefreakinbraska sometime!! Looks like everyone had some good, old-fashioned American Fun, and having just come off a weekend blogmeet with Jerry a few days earlier, I will say that there few peeps in the world as good as he is...a truly special guy, and a wonderful friend.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Well said Ralph, sorry to hear that Blogstock was such a failure LOL....
Everone involved deserves a pat on the back.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Ralph and welcome back. It must be a riot to be around you and Cliff. You two have such a great friendship.

It looks like all the blogger had a wonderful time. Looking forward to more blogstock 08'stories. Lisa

5:39 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Well Ralph, I have been going to all the blogs of those that got to go to Blogstock and reading with pleasure about all of the "happenings" that occured.

I will be there next year, if you decide to do it again. I now have an envelope with the word, "blogstock" on it in a secret place and I will put money in it for next year. Maybe I can do a Blogstock garage sale, hummmmm.

Well, anyway, thanks for the review.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Janell said...

Good recap and a nice collection of pictures.
I'm looking forward to next year already!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Good Stuff Ralph, you should be a reporter.

4:31 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Ralph ~ WOW! What a year (and trip). I am glad that Mrs. LZ and I could have been at least a small part of this post's memories! ~ jb///

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure looks like youse guys had a great time.

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home