Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Done And Perfect

I recently gave a copy of my 2008 Homespun Headlines book to a lady I work with. I’m very selective about giving away books at work. I don’t want to detract from the book sales at my retirement party.

She has been reading it and giving me frequent updates on the stories she had read. Recently she said to me, “Say, Ralph, did you know there is a mistake in your book?”

Ralph: There are several mistakes but you’re probably referring to the one on page 257 where I wrote ‘won’t not’. I forgot to take out the word ‘not’.

Lady: Yeah. . . that’s the one. . . how did you know?

Ralph: I read that text several times before having it printed and still missed it. Editing your own writing is really hard. Then once you think it is okay and send it off you notice the mistakes.

Lady: So. . .are you going to fix it?

Ralph: I don’t know.

Lady: You don’t know?

Ralph: When I first saw it, I was mad. Then I thought maybe I created a new phrase – ‘won’t not’. It may end up meaning ‘absolutely, positively no way in the world’. I know a lady who created her own word – hitonious. So maybe, ‘won’t not’ will become the next popular phrase. That and sometimes, done is better than perfect.

Our visit ended. I sat there for a minute and thought about it. For a lot of things in life that is true - done is better than perfect.

9 Comments:

Blogger Peruby said...

I like that. "Done is better than perfect". If anything, it stalls the reader inside your book. It makes them stop and re-read the sentence. And then they think.

I came up with the word "scrooged". As in:
"He scrooged my day." Ruined my mood.

4:23 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

One mistake? She's excited about one mistake? I've read many a published book with multiple errors. If I were you I won't not let hitonious comments bother me.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Lanny said...

You know we don't use Latin for an everyday language. It is the only language that doesn't change anymore. It is dead.

I think more folks should be willing to be like you.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I have my daughter edit for me when I write something someone else will be reading, but unless it's something hitonious I won't not change it!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Don't not mess with perfection I always say. Good one Ralph.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Perfect won't never come.
For your next book give her the honor of being asked to proof read.
I don't even use Latin for dress up things, let alone every day. Good think because I like to change.
..

1:45 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I know what you mean about catching those mistakes after it leaves your hands. If I hear "won't not," I'll know that it's your doing! *G*

7:38 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I have discovered the secret to living forever. Write a book and proofread it till it's perfect. You apparently have a long life ahead of you. So do i.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Won't Not and Hitonious are great words that should be used in everyday life by all people in the world.

:-)

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home