Monday, November 09, 2009

The Digitizer

I never expected internal turmoil while cleaning the garage – but it happened.

In the garage, I was throwing away many things without a second thought. Then I came across one item I debated about before throwing away. I thought, “You’ll never do anything with them.” Moments later, I pulled them out of the trash while thinking, “Maybe someday you will.”

I threw them away again while telling myself, “You have five large boxes of them downstairs.” Later, while digging them out of the trash I was thinking, “Just add them to the boxes downstairs.”

The third time I placed them in trash I was convinced they would stay there as I declared, “They really have no value.” As I dug them out the trash, I told myself, “While not tangible, sentimental value counts.”

Realizing I would never get the garage cleaned out if I kept fighting with myself, I took them downstairs and threw them on the counter. That’s where ten 35mm negative filmstrips stayed for six months.

Last week, I picked them up along with the other boxes of photos, negatives, and slides. Char bought me a digitizer - what a perfect gift! At least for someone like me.

This beauty can digitize slides and negatives, color and black and white. You can choose what resolution to save then at, rotate them, and even crop them if you’re so incline.

I started with some negatives that were at least twenty years old and treated pretty poorly. Yet, I was happy with the quality of the digitized photo. The way the negatives or slides were handled in the past is the key to the quality you get.

While it’s fun to digitize them, there are at least three drawbacks. The first is, with as many negatives and slides as I have it could take me fifty years, more if I want to write stories about them. Secondly, this type of project will keep you up past your normal bedtime. Lastly, when you do go to bed it's hard to sleep. You lay there wondering, “Where did the last twenty years go?”

12 Comments:

Blogger bobbie said...

I hate to think of how many hundreds of negatives and slides I have. Every time I happen to see them I think - When I die these will all go into the trash. No one will go through them again. Why don't I get rid of them now? - But I don't.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I will say one thing, hard as it is. We lost several shoe boxes full of photos and negatives in our house fire. We really don't miss 'em, but it still hurt an awful lot to lose 'em.

Our nephew in Aurora CO is digitizing a kajillion of my dad's (his granddad's) slides. We've had memories really stirred up with some of his first results. So that's a good thing.

Oh, some photos were saved. Whew!

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Terah said...

Enjoy all the old pictures and memories you find!

John digitized all the family slides he could find, as well as all the slides that were in our church archives. It was really neat to see those pictures; most hadn't been viewed for at least 25 years!

The next project is converting old video tapes to dvd - they make a fun machine for that too! :-)

8:29 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

My scanner can do that but Vista won't run my scanner. I need to check that again to see if they have new drivers,although we have few slides in our possession we do have a lot of negatives.. I'm like Paul, we lost most of our family slides in a house fire in 1953.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I now somehow feel as though I need one of these. I don't. I don't have many old negatives floating around. But I'm thinking "You never know when something like this might come in handy." After all, I could share it with family members who do have old negatives and slides to transfer. Thanks for the tip. Or shopping compulsion. Whichever. *G*

1:39 PM  
Blogger Live Well, Laugh Often and Love Much said...

This does take time. I am just thankful the I have a FIL like you that will take the time to go threw it and share the story behide each one. I LOVE EVERY SECOND OF IT ! Keep'em coming !

10:03 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I'm so glad you saved them!! I have one of those wonderful gadgets too and have done every negative and slide I could find as well as hundreds for family.
It's wonderful to view those old pictures again and as you say, lay awake nights wondering where all those years went.
Does yours do the larger negatives 4 inch etc too? Mine does not.

1:13 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Here I am at that time of my life where I am getting rid of things... but the old pictures? The slides? As we used to travel around the word, we took tons of slides - much easier to get processed when you live in the Middle East... Now, I NEED one of these gadgets. Guess I'd better check amazon to find one.
Just what I need - one more THING!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Miki said...

Ralph, glad you were able to save some of your images...do they make one of those for photos? I have boxes and boxes of those. Negatives, well they were thrown away a while ago. I never had slides...my parents were not into the slide show thing, pictures yes, slides no! Enjoy your trips down memory lane.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

How neat Ralph!! My oldest brother needs one of these. He has loads of slides that I'd LOVE to see! It's a slow process but what fun finding out what all you have!!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

I've never seen such a thing, I need one of those!

9:20 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

How fun! And they look great. I was always a little jealous of the families that took slides.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home