Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Four Short Minutes

On Monday Char and I attended a funeral. The sermon was given and then it came time to tell about the man’s life. His seventy-five years here on earth was condensed down to four minutes. I looked around. The chapel was full, the overflow area was full, and people were standing in the foyer. It was evident this man had lived a rich and full life while touching many, many people. A four minute summary didn't do justice.

I sat there thinking of all the stories people attending the funeral could tell about him. I thought about the stories he had to have. Once again I was reminded of the importance of capturing our life stories. I wrote about it before in a post called, Preaching and Hypocrisy.

4 Comments:

Blogger EV said...

Someone whispered it was your birthday, Ralph. Happy Birthday - have great day!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Once attended a funeral with note paper and pencil in each seating section of the church. People were invited to write something about the deceased and then leave their note on the seat. I thought that was an amazing idea. As far as four minute stories about the deceased, the pastor messed up there. With all those people, there were lots of stories to be included if "someone" had done their job. PS Happy Birthday!

3:52 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Wow... 4 minutes...
Here on the Shore, depending on which church it is, the congregation is usually invited to stand and share a memory. SOme funerals then end up being hours long... but folks have that one last opportunity to share with the family something good or even funny about the departed.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Casey said...

We went to a funeral on Friday and 99% of it was sermon from the pastor. Her sons talked for a minute each but no other information was shared about her or her life or anything. I was very disappointed as she was my boyfriends aunt and I'd only met her once. I love the mention of paper left for everyone to make note of a memory from another of your noters. People were invited to share but no one did come forward out of a completely full church...

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home