Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sign Language

One of the many problems with technology is it has taken away from previous forms of communications. It is amazing how fast young people can text yet they are confused by common everyday hand gestures. The other day it became obvious this is a growing problem in our country.

I was sitting in the turn lane waiting for the light to change. I was the first one in line and there were three cars behind me waiting to turn onto a four lane street. I was driving slower than normal and using a great deal more caution. The light turned and slowly I made the turn. Suddenly the car behind me pulled up in the other lane and the teenage driver glared at me while throwing both his hands up in the air. Having master hand gestures years ago I knew the teenage kid was frustrated by how slow I turned the corner and his hand gesture meant, “What the heck old man, drive the car or get off the road.”

I looked at him and using my index finger (it’s important to restate it was my index finger) I pointed over my shoulder then turning my hand towards him I rolled it from the left to right several time. Making a gesture some people use when implying “so so’.

The teenager had a puzzled looked on his face so I did it again. Using my index finger I pointed behind me then rolled my hand side to side several times. I looked over and it was evident he had misinterpreted my gesture. He was looking in all his mirrors then over both his shoulders convinced I had seen a police officer. He slowed down, pulled in behind me and followed me for two miles until I had to turn. I’m sure he was convinced I had kept him from getting pulled over and perhaps even a ticket.

There was no police officer. My hand gesture simply meant, ‘In the back I have a crock pot full of soup I’m taking to the nursing home. I don’t want it to slosh around’.

Kids needs to spend more time learning hand gestures and less time texting.

11 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

There's a good chance the kid only knew just the one hand signal.
Good story.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Marty Morrow said...

instant classic. thanks for that Ralph.

1:13 PM  
Blogger EV said...

Besides, you go to jail for sloshed driving.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

Good stuff, Ralph.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

I am working to perfect your hand signal and believe it will do more good than that other over used gesture.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

I laughed out loud, you're crazy.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Lanny said...

Guffaw, snort, giggle, snort, giggle, giggle, snort. That was funny! Nay, hilarious! At first I thought I was as dumb as the young kids who text fast.

Wish Dirt knew the driving slow while packin' sloshy food trick! Maybe I'll teach him the correct hand signal and he'll feel more comfortable slowin' down.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Good thing, Ralph, that people don't understand your hand language anymore. If a few had they may have ganged up on you and eaten the old folks' soup. :)
..
I use my 'pointy finger' to signal with a "you know better than that" when another driver does a no-no. Some don't have finger discerning eyesight.
..

3:01 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Oh, I loved that story Ralph!!!

3:37 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Great story... but aren't there laws against driving with an open container????? LOL!

6:05 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

That is funny! When people are driving slow, I often remind myself that they might have a carton of eggs in the back seat. I'm changing my mental image to soup!

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home