Saturday, January 01, 2005

Tabula Rasa

New Years Day, this is my favorite holiday. I guess it is because we have a clean slate, or as they say in Latin, Tabula Rasa. We have 365 days, 8,760 hours, or 525,600 minutes before the year, once again, comes to an end.

Granted there are many things that will happen within the days, hours, and minutes we have no control over. We have to deal with what is doled out to us, good or bad. However, we also have a great deal of time to use as we see fit.

Funny thing about New Years, I have never gotten into that resolution thing. I have seen to many people get discouraged when they cannot live up to their resolutions. Rather, I make a list of what I hope to accomplish. The list is never complicated, such as achieve world peace. It is things that will make me and those close to me happy or at least bring us a laugh or a smile.

This year the list is pretty basic. I only want to drink good coffee; I mean we only have 525,600 minutes, why waste them on bad coffee. Spend more time visiting with family and friends, if an adult beverage is involved so be it. Take up another hobby; I am not sure that will make my wife smile. Keep my scrapbook, journal, and blog site up to date. Convince my friend Cliff that I would like to help with the harvest or planting and can do it with ruining anything. Cook some good meals and share them with friends. Smile more when I ride my bike, it is fun after all (even thought the first couple of rides about kill me). Visit a couple places I have never been before. Be a little more tolerant especially with accountants and attorneys. Think more about retirement and less about work. Get ready for retirement.

How are you going to fill your Tabula Rasa?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home