Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Early Blogging

I have discovered when I wake up in the middle of the night I have exactly two minutes, give or take a couple of seconds. One of two things will happen within that two-minute window. Either I will fall back asleep or I’ll start thinking about things. The problem is when I get thinking I become wide-awake and might as well get up.

So, at one thirty this morning I was walking around the kitchen when I started wondering about blogs. Not, mine, but yours. I decided to go back to the archives and see how some of you started and what you said in your early blogs. I didn’t get to everyone but I am sure I will have another middle of the night session.

I read a few of them and so far, my all time favorite has to be by Rachel. In October 2005, she wrote a post called, Where is Ralph. It said, “Last summer we had a frog that lived in our garage. He was a fat happy-looking fellow and we got along real well. I named him Ralph for no particular reason. I guess he just looked like a Ralph.” The story goes on to say that one Fall Ralph left and didn’t return. I’d just like to go on record here that I have posted several pictures of me so Rachel won’t be too sad about Ralph’ s disappearance.

Then there is Marty. In July 2004, Marty wrote,” I'm posting this using BlogWizard. It's a nice tool that allows you to blog unconnected. It's one of many reasons I've moved to Blogger - there seems to be a much more vibrant development environment surrounding it.” I glad I didn’t read this in 2004. I would have had no idea what he was talking about. Well, I guess I still don’t.

Rodent made an observation that contains a lot of truth. In January 2005, she wrote a post titled, My First Anonymouse Entry. In it she said, “There are a lot of strange people out there that think they are interesting...some of them actually are.” Rodent, I will forever consider it an honor when you leave me a comment.

Then there is Cliff and his great sense of humor. Even when he doesn’t know what he is doing, he can make a pretty good joke out of it. In June 2004, he wrote a blog called, Alpha, which says, “If I told someone from our small town that "last night about 4:30 A.M. I was blogging for the first time", the women would turn red, and run. The men would just wink and say, "well attaboy. It's about time. You're what, 54 years old"?” Cliff, I would have liked to been there when you explained blogging for the first time.

Like a Virgin was posted by Jerry in July 2005. I liked the comment left on this post. It said, “Just remember that none of (us*) qualify as public figures so the ability to sue for slander is quite lenient.” * I took out the name and inserted us; I don’t need a lawsuit right now either.

Even in the early days, you people wrote some darn good stuff.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph,

You didn't put down what you blogged about. Something about your love of technology.

Hard to believe I've been blogging for 6 months now. I was so young back then. Thanks for the memories.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Without looking, I believe I finished that blog with Thanks for getting me started Marty,, I think.
I'll still stand by that statement.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Cliff
Just for the record your exact words were,"Now I lay me down to sleep. Thanks Marty. I think."
Ralph

8:29 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Ralph, you are so funny!

I know what you mean about waking up and starting to think. Start thinking and it's either toss and turn or get up. I hate when that happens.

Just today I was telling someone about your "cartridge in a bare tree!" I still laugh thinking about that, oh... and then you in those curlers!! ROFL!! What a picture!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

I only have one thing to say, Normal people don't wake up in the middle of the night and think about blogging and they don't go read blogs either, sounds kind of like you are a Blog o Fanatic. lol!!!

When I wake up, I shut my eyes real fast and go right back to sleep!!

5:32 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Ralph, you need to be careful about your sleep-blogging!

6:42 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Jerry - you have a good memory. That was it.
Rachel - I am so glad you are enjoying the curlers story. That in itself makes it all worthwhile. Thanks.
Life, Love, Laugh - I've tried that close your eyes real fast thing. Sometimes it work, some time not. It's always worth a shot.
Dan - sleep blogging? See what your dad wrote!
Just help me - it was either that or commercials. That was an easy decision.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You may want to consider a sleep aid of some kind. How about a glass of warm whiskey?
I sleep like a rock... without any whiskey. My hubby has sleeping problems. He takes Ambien, and that works pretty well for him.
Whenever you wake up, be sure to NOT think!!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Blogging late at night is the best! Who knows what silliness might creep in. *G*

12:19 AM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Ralph, I have never considered you as one of the strange ones... but you are definitely interesting! Through you I discovered the Morrow clan and a few others. Thanks!

7:21 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Somewhere in my early blogs I asked the question, "Do you ever sit in church thinking about your blog?"

At least you have the class to wake up in the middle of the night.

Good post, and I enjoyed that corny poem, too. Don't quit your day job.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Happy New Year to you and your family, Ralph! It has been a treat reading your blog this past year!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Terrific post! I enjoy reading the entire blog of those I discover. Going backwards at a later date, like you did, brings many smiles here. P.S. I agree with Aravis, my fellow nightowl/wee hr person. *G*

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home