Sunday, December 11, 2005

Christmas Decor

"What the . . . “

Those words crossed my lips one night when we pulled into the cul de sac. Some of our neighbors had put up their Christmas lights and decorations. Enough lights to transform my little cul de sac into a landing strip for Denver International Airport. Then there were the decorations. A six-foot high inflatable donkey and a five foot high inflatable Winnie the Pooh. I’m still trying to the make the Christmas connection with Winnie the Pooh. All I know is in a strong winds it looks like the donkey is about to have its way with Winnie the Pooh. Geez, lets take it inside!

Not wanting to be out done I decided to put up some decorations. This is a landmark year, the first year I put up outdoor decorations. I hung a used 20 gauge shotgun shell from my little leaf linden tree. That’s it – one shotgun shell. It’s drawn a lot of attention from the neighbors but so far, only one has asked. I affectionately call it, ‘a cartridge in a bare tree’.

While I would like to take credit for such a unique idea, Cliff and Marilyn told me about it. Marilyn’s mother did it a few years back.

I’ve been watching. Several of my neighbors have pulled into their driveways, gotten out of their cars and stared, yes, stared at my little tree. I guess people just appreciate tasteful Christmas decor.

8 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

So there it is, I've been hearing about it for a few days now and the work of art is finally in your tree for all to see. :) Very clever! Love the picture!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Christa
Welcome back. Yes. I did it. Char even likes it, okay she puts up with it (like a lot of other things).
Ralph

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it. I may try the same thing only with print cartridges. Ralph, you're my new Christmas decorating mentor.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I love it! Especially "a cartridge in a bare tree!" LOL

I'd say Jeff Foxworthy would call that redneck holiday decorating!

Your neighbors probably think it's a bug catcher or something!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Your neighbors will be accusing you of spending too much time in Nebraska. (by the way that's not possible)

8:58 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Ralph, your neighbors are probably watching to see if you are still around. You know, with Char's gun weilding tendencies and that single shot gun shell on display.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

What a cute little play in words. I bet your tree gets more interested stares than your neighbor's extravaganza.
Maybe that Winnie the Poo was on sale or something.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Jerry - well, since you read this blog, I've taught you everything I know.
Rachel - I'm kind of glad I don't know what they think about it.
Cliff - you're right, it's not possible.
Marty - what can I say, sorry.
Dan - you might be right. Several of them have said 'Good to see you'. I never put two and two together until just now.
Jamie - about the Winnie the Pooh, it would have had to been some sale.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home