Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Monday in North Platte

Monday night I was in North Platte, Nebraska. Why I was there is not nearly as important as what happened. After dinner, we returned to the hotel where a crowd of forty to fifty people had formed in front of the Holiday Inn Express, where we were staying. So, I did what comes natural for me – I got talking to them.

There were waiting for a bus. The bus was full of troops from Nebraska and Kansas who were just returning from Iraq after eighteen months. One of the ladies, about my age and evidently a mother of one of soldiers invited me to wait for the bus and welcome them home. So as the old adage goes – when in North Platte. . . . .

I waited and eventually the bus rounded the corner. The crowd (including me) burst into cheers. One by one, the troops, men and women, filed off the bus. They looked exhausted but happy. I spent 15 – 20 minutes talking with several of them.

Whether you believe in the war or not, it’s nice to see men and women arrive home safely.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Good going Ralph. Those men and women are my hero's.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

It sure is, for them and the families waiting. Sad for the families that some won't be returning to. They are true hero's and I sure don't envy their job over there.

It was good of you to stay and welcome them!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Good job Ralph!

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They certainly deserve a hero's welcome home. Good post, Ralph.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

What wonderful timing! I remember when my older brother returned from the first Gulf War, the joy and relief. In some instances, as you say, bittersweet due to losses.

Thank-you for staying to help welcome them home!

11:32 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Cliff is right, those are the best kind of heros. But you were probably crying from the guilt of not visiting us while you were in Nebraska.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Amen to that!
I support them and appreciate them soooo much.
How neat that you were able to talk with some of them and welcome them home.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Sure is! That must have been a wonderful natural high to be part of welcoming them home, Ralph.

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home