Friday, October 14, 2005

Fifty Plus Fifty

It’s been a busy week. There have been two 50-year celebrations in the last four days.

On Sunday, the church where Char and I were married celebrated its 50-year anniversary. The Pastor who married us was the Master of Ceremony and it was good to see him again. We went to that church prior to being married and for many years afterwards. It was pretty shocking to realize that we attended that church over thirty years ago. The celebration service lasted three and half hours. When it was over, I was really ready to leave.

On Thursday, the forestry agency I work for celebrated its 50-year anniversary. It was a little numbing to realize I have been working here for over 31 years – but who is counting. The man who was state forester when I was hired was there and gave a great talk. This celebration lasted about four and half hours. When it was over, I was pretty well exhausted.

I’ve been doing a little thinking about both these events. It’s pretty amazing how each of them, church and work, has played a major role in my life and have consumed a lot of years. Its pretty amazing how many people came out of retirement to be a part of it – I’m still here. It’s pretty amazing how many new faces have appeared lately both at the church and at work; in fact, half the people who work for our agency have been here less than six years.

So, I guess after 50 years, they both have something to truly celebrate.

5 Comments:

Blogger JUST A MOM said...

That is so cool.50 years,, I look at being married for 27 as a long time.That is over half my life.wow time flys.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Ralph, congrats on you 100th birthday!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Gel said...

It sounds like these two marker celebrations actually added up to much more than "100%"! Nice post.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I don't think you'll have to worry about a 50 year wedding anniversary celebration,,, Char will doubtless strangle you before that.
What scares me is that I'm starting to attend Golden Anniversaries where I was in the wedding. c

4:58 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Those were some LONG celebrations. You're not suppposed to admit to getting bored in church, but after 3 1/2 hours, anyone would get tired of being there. And the other one was over 4 hours?!?! I hope there was plenty of food.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home