Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Wine Tour


A couple of weekends ago we gave a wine tour in Palisade. Palisade is one of my favorite destination spots in the Fall. It is located just 12 miles east of Grand Junction but you would never know it. Somehow, it has remained a small town with a population of about 2,500.

It's known for the vineyards throughout the valley, which I must admit we did stop at a few of them. Okay - 11 to be exact. But, it's okay - I was the designated driver. Believe it or not, Cliff, I did fulfill the role. I did purchase a few bottles of wine, okay nineteen, but I did limit my sampling.

Besides the tasting rooms, there is plenty to do and see. I love walking through the vineyards this time of year. The grapes are still on the vine and are quite colorful. The area is also known for its orchards. Some of the best peaches in the world come from this little town and the people who own the orchards are exceptionally friendly and always happy to answer your questions.

Then there is the food. The Palisade Cafe is my breakfast spot of choice. A small family owned restaurant where the food and the service has always been great. Last year, the waitress kicked out some of the locals so we could have a table. Fortunately, the locals didn't seem to mind. Then there is the Slice of Life Bakery. They have great pastries but they also make some of the best sandwiches I have ever had. Yes, the sandwiches were part of a picnic lunch complete with a glass of wine at one of the local vineyards.

The photo above is taken at a winery overlooking a vineyard, an orchard, and the town of Palisade. The mountains in the background are part of the bookcliffs.

So, next time your in Colorado in the Fall stop by, we'll go on a road trip. I have a van that is fully certified to hold four people, their luggage, and six cases of wine.

Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Sounds like fun! I've never been to Colorado. I didn't know they had vineyards there.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

This was a superb post my man. Makes me want to finish up field work and head west. But wait, your heading East, right, Thanksgiving?? How about meeting T here??

12:05 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

It sounds like a lovely trip!

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder how many locals drive by and never look up at that view. I'd never heard of Palisade. Thanks for sharing, Ralph.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Ralph, have you seen the movie "Sideways"?

5:37 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Dan
Yeah I've heard of it. Some friends told us about it last year and Char and I went to see it. There were great vineyard scenes.
Ralph

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home