Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Big Game Hunter

I use to hunt a little but never was very good at it. I mostly walked around, looked at things, and just enjoyed being outside. Once, I had a chance at a large bull elk – it was only about 30 yards away and may have been a new state record. But, it ran away because of all the pictures I was taking before I could take a shot. Now, I’m sure it could have been a state record.

The Friday after Thanksgiving Dan and Tom took me (and the rest of kids) out to shoot clay pigeons. Clay pigeons are round, brightly colored clay disks, about four inches in size, which are flung through the air by some contraption. It's called trap shooting and I use to be quite good at it. But, like many things, it now falls into the “I use to. . . . .” category.

Anyway, I still hit a few of them. This brings in one of the key lessons about hunting I had drilled into me – don’t kill to kill, eat what you kill and don’t waste it. It’s hard to do that with clay pigeons. Above is a picture of me ‘hunting’. To the left is a close up picture of my 'kill' on the barbecue. In case you’re wondering, they were quite crunchy and tasted a lot like . . . . well, chicken.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I love trap shooting but I never ever tried eating any!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I knew you guys were pretty busy our there. Now I see why no one was hungry when you came in.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that a high fiber diet, Ralph?

10:20 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel - Don't. It is not as good as it looks in the pictures.
Marty - No problem, Dave really did all the work. Let me know what kind of grade he gets.
Cliff - It was a lot better than the football game.
Jerry - No, not high fiber but it does help with your calcium intake.
Ralph

5:40 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I still chuckle at the time I shot 27 outta 30 and my son-in-law missed the same. Heh-heh. It was his .12 gauge, too. Heh-heh. Lucky him, though. All he had to eat was some crow. Heh-heh.

I'd like to relive that day. Heh-heh.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home