Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Yes, Deer!

No this post is not about Char. It’s about deer – with two e’s. Not dear as in “your every wish”.

My office outside Denver is located at an airport which is close to a six-lane highway, that carries traffic from Boulder to Denver. It is a busy highway. Yesterday I was meeting with a person I work with and we were discussing the need to bring rural forestry and urban forestry closer together. It is not an easy concept to grasp. That’s when I looked out the window and saw this. . .
And this. . . .

Denver now has an abundance of deer in places like my office parking lot, people’s backyards, and even shopping centers! Know why? According to the division of wildlife, there is so much snow in the high country that the deer are coming into town (Denver and the surrounding communities) looking for food.

Okay, now that we are talking about food and with all due respect to my vegetarian readers is it just me or is anyone else thinking barbecue?

10 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

You cuff and I've got the FoodSaver to package and freeze any leftovers. I'll even make the sauce!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Ralph, call in the CO national guard, airlift hay to those poor animals. Do WHATEVER it takes to keep there and DO NOT let them migrate toward Nebraska.
As you were.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I think they wanted to offer their opinion in regards to your meeting. That would be a good idea if they could talk.

I think they better run back for the hills! Sounds like Cliff might like them, so maybe you could load them up and have them sent to him as an early ....birthday present? :) Go ahead, make his day!!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Nice idea. Actually I rather favor Venison Stew with homemade biscuits on top.
We are over run with deer in our yards, eating shrubbery, etc. too, and are told it's because so many people are building homes in the mountains.
That may be a part of the reason but only a small part. The actual reason is over population. We used to have venison when deer used our gardens for their pasture but it is forbidden now and upheld with large fines.
Our lawmakers would rather see the wildlife starve to death.
How stupid is that?

10:06 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I don't eat deer meat except for deer sausage.
Actually in Iowa (near Amana) this December I saw in one place more deer than you had there. Some had gone by the time I counted 26 of them.
..

11:34 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

Being an animal lover, I am not going to touch this one.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

The same thing happened to me recently. There was only one deer, tho.

And no, it's not just you.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Ralph, what do you call a deer with no eyes? .......No EyeDeer!

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmm. Deer Jerky. Yummy.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

Wow!
Great pictures!
That is amazing that they are coming to town.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home