Friday, April 27, 2007

Forrest Ralph

“Stupid is as stupid does.” That’s one of the lines I remembered from the movie Forrest Gump this week.

I've been away from home three nights this week traveling for work. I’ve been trying to reduce the number of road trips but at certain times, it’s just impossible.

Checking into the third hotel this week, the young lady at the front desk was quite helpful. She made sure I was aware of the amenities the hotels had and where they were located. Then she handed me one of those electronic keys the size of a credit card.

I placed the key in a small notepad I carry in my back pocket and noticed I still had keys from the previous hotels that I had forgotten to turn in. Gathering my suitcase and computer, I headed to the room.

Standing outside the hotel door, I put my luggage down, took a key out, and inserted it in the door. The light flashed red – access denied. I inserted the card again. Red light – access denied.

This has happened before so I know a few tricks. I slowly insert the key. Red light – access denied. I slid it in fast, red light - access denied. Okay, I was getting a little frustrated but tried it fifteen more times. Every time I got a red light – access denied.

Somewhat irritated (okay I was really irritated) I gathered my suitcase and laptop and headed back to the front desk. Naturally, when I got there a line of four or five people were ahead of me. I patiently waited my turn (no, really, I was patient – I had nowhere to be). As I approached the front desk, the same lady who checked me in looked up, smiled, and said, “Hi Mr. Campbell is your room satisfactory?”

I handed her the key and told her I didn’t know the key wouldn’t open the door. She smiled and immediately gave me the key back while saying, “I glad to hear that. This key isn’t for our hotel.” Looking at the key, I realized I was using the electronic key from a previous hotel.

Heading back to the elevator with the right key in my hand I thought to myself, “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get.”

14 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Can you run really fast too??
Man I hate it when stuff like that happens. I thought I was the only one.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

That's what I like about you Ralph, the simplest task can become an adventure.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

You mean I'm not the only one? Shoot! I could have written a real cool post about my, uh...my, uh...about recycling hotel keys. Yeah, that's it.

Good one, Ralph. Welcome to the club.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

How funny! I agree with Dan.

And thanks for patting all of those trees; I would have done the same. :0)

3:27 PM  
Blogger PinkCat said...

When I started to read your post "Life is like a Box of Chocolates" is the first thing I thought. How funny and well to be honest Ralph how typical of a man...hehehehe

Take care xx

4:37 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Oh Ralph!! I thought you got in trouble or something if you didn't turn those back in before you left a hotel? I guess in your case you got the something!!

I was eating out the other night and I saw a man that looked like you. He was eating with another gentleman and a lady. He was the most cheerful fellow and he laughed a lot and cut up with the waitress and they all seemed to be having the best time. But the whole time he still reminded me of you! So if your ears were burning that's why!! I mean, I wasn't talking about you (I was eating alone), but I was thinking about you!

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the other people that commented were pretty nice. I read your post and all that came to my mind was... well nevermind, but it wasn't that nice.

8:45 PM  
Blogger 1 plus twins said...

omg- i can't stop laughing that is too darn funny!!

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a good thing you didn't get indignant and ugly with the lady. That would have been really embarassing.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Shesh! You'll have to sell those little things on eBay. Maybe you'll make some money. All my time travelling, I never forgot to turn in my key. But, when I checked out, they never forgot to ask for it either. I kept an open mind when you started with the Forrest Gump line.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I guess that 'Forest' thing was because you have been called 'Forest Ralph,' right.
That was great, like the others who said it, if I wrote about using the wrong key readers wouldn't go past the second paragraph, maybe even the first.
The rule then, is 'Just wait and see' what you will write next. Real good!
BTW, at least a couple brands of chocolates put a map in the lid so maybe you can tell what you are getting.
..

6:05 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Ralph,
I did something close to that recently.
I write about music, but always feel like a fraud around all of the "cool kids."
I purchased a CD set of Neil Young that friends convinced me was well worth it. I'm not a huge Neil fan, but everyone insisted that it was necessary for my collection. I took it to work and could not get it to play, nor would it work in my car or at home. I took it back to the uber-hip independent music store and told the clerk the problem.
He looked at my with pity and said "It's a DVD ma'am."
Uggh.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

sorry to hear that Ralph, I guess, you were a little "road weary"

4:24 AM  
Blogger EV said...

You're not working on Sling Blade quotes for a post are you??? ;)

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home