Monday, April 16, 2007

1963 versus Now

Back in 1963, November 22 to be exact, President Kennedy was assassinated. I remember listening to it on the radio at school and later watching it on TV at home. People like Walter Cronkite reported the facts. Reporting what they knew to keep us informed with the truth.

Today, I like Cliff, was upset at the reporters talking about Virginia Tech. Their lack of depth, lack of compassion, lack of concern, and even lack of truth in their reporting was inexcusable. Investigative journalism – I think not!!

I was taught reporters were to be objectives and report the facts. The ones today were already pointing the finger. They are not concerned with facts or truth or for that matter, the people affected.

I like Walter Cronkite’s approach better.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Those reporters ask stupid questions and try to blame this one and that one, etc. You are so right. They need to stick to the facts and give us the truth of what happened.

They could learn a lot from Walter Cronkite!

I feel so bad for the families who have lost a loved one and the ones who are wounded and may not survive. My prayers are with them.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I was never a fan of Walter Cronkite. But on the JFK drama, you are right. I remember it well.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Yes, in his younger days Walter was a straight up reporter. As he got older he got to leaning pretty hard.
I agree with you Ralph.

Need any help with the trapeeze???

10:04 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I agree with you Ralph. Objectivity in reporting went out the window a long time ago, and that's so sad.

My heart goes out to all of the friends and family.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph,
Walter Cronkite is a flaming liberal now, but while he was reporting full-time, he kept it under wraps. He just reported the facts, and left the discussion of events to other folks. There hasn't been anyone like him since.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Do you remember Sergeant Friday? He always said, "gimme the facts Mam, just the facts!"
The reporters could take lessons.

12:43 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

This has been just awful!
More and more reporters are making themselves part of the story.
I write for two newspapers. One is an observational column and one is factual.
The factual one is much harder to write (I have to do more research,get quotes, etc.) but they way news should be reported.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home