Thursday, March 15, 2007

Change is in the Air

I don’t handle change well, I need time to adapt. Had I known all the changes that would occur in early 2007 I would have cancelled my New Years Party and we would now be in the 15 month of 2006.

For the most part the changes are good. But they just came one after another after another. Before I could adjust to one - another came along.

A few days ago I found out other people have a hard time adapting too, it’s not just me. SOR (Son of Ralph) called and our conversation started liked this:

SOR: Well, wish me luck. I am really, REALLY, nervous.
Ralph (clutching his heart with one hand, cell phone with the other, while trying to act nonchalant): Hi Nate, what’s going on?
SOR: I’m going to Great Clips for a haircut!
Ralph (releases fast beating heart while trying not to laugh): That’s it? You’re getting a haircut?
SOR: Dad, you don’t understand. I have gone to the same barber for fifteen years!

He was right. For the past fifteen years both Nate and I have gone to only one barber shop.

Nate went on to explain that he knew nothing about getting a haircut. He would go in set down in the barber chair talk to them about work, golf, and the likes and they would cut his hair. The barbers knew how to cut Nate’s hair, he didn’t.

I told him to call when he was done. Just before he hung up I think I detected a nervous quiver in his voice.

He called later that evening and said it was ‘okay’. It was a two week haircut, meaning he would have to get another haircut in two weeks because it wasn’t cut the way “our barber” would have done it. Great Clips didn’t use a razor to trim the back of his neck and he was covered with hair – his own hair when he left. He went on and on about it not being a real barber shop.

Yep, change is in the air.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Just have him keep going back to get it cut again and again until they get it right.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Well Ralph, I hate to say it but if the real name isn't Great, but another word, they never will cut his hair right. He should stake the place out and look over the other jobs.
The one I went to one time, just one, they gave me the worst haircut I ever had.
S
P
O
R
T
S
is not GREAT.
..

11:03 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

Hey Ralph, I have a complex about who and where I get my hair cut, so I get what SOR is going thru! Hope that he finds a place that is "real" for him. Sounds as if he went to a hair cutting place, not a barber. Tell him to look for the pole out front, a place that only men go to, unless the person who cut his hair was a female who was really good looking, that may have been the draw fro him!

4:50 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Tell SOR to skip the national chain hair salons and go to an independently owned place, that is where he will get quality. Just like auto body work.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Changing is hard to do sometimes. That was a definite change after having the same one for so long. For years I cut my own hair because I didn't like the way they did it. Now I have found some one that I like again. A good barber is a good thing to have!!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I remember my son being pretty nervous about a haircut too. He had grown his hair long (hippy ere) and needed it cut for the job he was starting. Problem being, he wanted 'me' to cut it. So being a nice mom, I did, but when I got half way through he decided he didn't want it cut. LOL One side long one side short. He ended up with a short haircut.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Ouch! I hate change too. Perhaps you could get your barber to write instructions for Nate to take to his new barber?

Good luck. :0)

11:44 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

How odd that you should talk about this today.
Our son had his last hair cut at a great clip place because the barber was closed.
Today we are taking him to the regular barber where he has always had his hair cut. They know him on sight and by name and he doesn't have to give any instructions. The guy just knows. I leave him there because it is just too much of male place to sit and wait. I wonder if SOR can find a barber in his area and get to know and feel comfortable getting hair cuts again.
Happy St.Patrick's Day!
Huggles

10:44 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

:) My, my, like father like son!

Seriously, it's a haircut. I myself will stoop to Great Clips if it's been a rather hard day and I just desperately need someone to wash my hair (I'll pay $15 just for THAT, the trim is simply a by-product). So far, no lasting damage has been inflicted.

Ah well, start small I suppose. :) Good luck with all that change!

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home