Monday, April 23, 2007

January Tears, April Cheers

Life is an amazing thing. The first six weeks of the year were pretty hard on ol’ Ralph.

Tiffany went back to Chicago. Why anyone would want to live in Chicago is beyond me – but she does and she is happy. I’m glad.

Then Nate moved to the mid-west. It was hard to see him go. But I knew it was one of those things he had to do. He seems to like it and for that, I’m happy.

Then I got the “ring” call. While I was happy, it made me nervous. Okay, it made me really nervous. I kept thinking those kids (and they will always be kids) most likely don’t know what they are getting into. They will face some hard times but they are strong and they will make it work. It is what they want and that makes me happy.

While I don’t want to pat myself on the back to hard, outwardly I handled these things okay – not good, but okay. Internally, I was a nervous wreck – probably should have used caps to emphasizes the word WRECK.

Fast forward to April.

Tiffany and Jason came to visit over Spring break. They have a true respect for each other. The more I talk to them they just seem to compliment one another. It also helps that SILOR has a sense of humor I can relate to.

Nate came to visit in April as well. He flew in for the weekend. We had lunch and he told us some good news. Nate seems happier than he has been in awhile. For that, I am grateful. The news was good and I will post about it sometime in the future.

After lunch, we played golf. I made a spectacular shot with my four iron. It was a shot that Tiger Woods would have admired. Nate didn’t because I beat him on that hole. I love my four iron.

Later it was off to dinner where we had a great time. There was a lot of laughter around the table. The older I get laughter is something I appreciate more and more.

Family and laughter. Does it get any better that?

Yeah, I like April.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems to be a little confusion ...

How is that you were able to pull off this spectacular shot?

I thought golf was cancelled ... Hmmm...LOL .....

3:07 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

Glad that you were able to make that shot! Good to have that laughter, it heals the soul! Thanks for your comment, it was heartfelt. Everyone here is doing better, especially now that I let everyone know not to send me those cute little doggy emails. They just bring me to tears right now.

5:12 PM  
Blogger 1 plus twins said...

so glad april is going well for you. i have to agree, laughter and family/friends is something i really enjoy now adays too!!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

The midwest isn't too bad a place to live.... although 7 months is a long winter.
One good thing about Chicago (the only good thing? ha ha) you don't really have bad "winter driving" there. The plows and salt trucks are out when the first snowflake is in the air. Here in Smallville I drove through more blizzards and drifts in 3 months than in my 13+ years in Chicago.
Now that April is almost over, we can start to think about putting our snow shovels away.
P.S. Congrats on your SILOR. Is he a Chicagoan?

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeker...I was born in Chicago yet my parents hail from Montego Bay, Jamaica. I like the midwest and all, but this winter is WAY TOO long. Hopefully that IS is now a WAS in terms of winter. Jamaica weather beats Chicago weather anytime.

10:22 PM  
Blogger PinkCat said...

Wow Ralph sounds like you have an awesome family. You are brave to deal with all that comes your way with your children because it must be hard to watch them grow and take flight. I am glad that you feel they will always be kids because I think thats how I will feel too. It makes me gald to know that its o.k. to feel worried about how its going to feel when they are all grown up. Your children have done you proud and you should be able to pat yourself on the back or I will come and do it for you.

Take care xx

10:50 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Ralph, that four-iron shot was icing on the cake! I broke mine on a tree and now have a new shaft. I don't get to use it very often, my 7-wood does about the same.

My SIL is from Trinidad. He and Jason probably have the same British accent.
My DIL is from Venezuela, she has a cute little Spanish accent.
I'm from the Midwest and I have NO ACCENT.
Mrs. Jim is from Louisiana and she has a Southern accent.
The rest of the kids and ILs are from Texas and they only have a slight Texan drawel [whoops, my Google spell checker said "Did you mean: drawl"].
I have five kids and four ILs. They all live in the Houston area so I'm lucky there.
One and ex moved to Lincoln for the playing on the U/N golf team but they loaded up when the first snow fell--before Thanksgiving--and came back hear.
I guess that is where you are, good things and not so good. At least the four-iorn works for you good.
..

4:57 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Laughter is amazing.
I'm so glad that everything is going well, including your golf game.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Gee, how does one (from Jim's comment) break an iron on a tree?? Hmmmm....is that when you get mad at a failed shot and take it out on the poor tree and golf club?
Oh...I was just wondering....

Anyway, so glad you had some wonderful time with your family and some laughter. Laughter is wonderful medicine!! It also burns calories!! And it makes you feel better! Looking forward to your son's news!!!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

This made me smile; I'm glad that your life is good.

I bet you are, too! *G*

12:35 AM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

Yep kids happy and it is all good!!! just stoppin by to say hey.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph,
I think laughter is underrated. That's why I think a trip to the Morrows at least annually is a good thing...for laughter therapy.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Good posting Ralph. It's a journey isn't it?
I'm a bit worried now that you said you can relate to Jason's humor.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home