Wednesday, January 02, 2008

If. . .

The sentences started the same way but the endings varied. Throughout 2007, I made a lot of statements that started, “If a year ago, someone would have told me. . .”

. . .DOR (Daughter of Ralph) and SILOR (Son in Law of Ralph) would be engaged and then married - I would have been shocked then happy. I’m not sure any father is ever ready for that day.

. . .SOR (Son of Ralph) would move to the Midwest - I would have been sad then happy. Sad because I didn’t want him to move (I was starting to get where I could almost beat him at golf) and I didn’t want him to be out there by himself. But, happy about the move to the Midwest because SORSO entered our lives.

. . .I would be playing golf with SOR and SILOR in Illinois - I would have hoped to beat them. That didn’t happen.

. . .Char would be right about having the basement finished and how much I would like it when it was done - that wouldn’t have surprised me. She is usually right about things like that.

. . .I would show a seven year old how super hero’s jump - I would not have believed it. The jump was made off a coffee table in my living room. It gave us all a good laugh.

. . . I would use one of my magical Komacalli (pronounced kom-a – call - i) bandages on a seven year old to make it magically quit hurting - I wouldn’t have been surprised. After all that is what magical Band-Aids are suppose to do.

. . .Cliff and Marilyn would make two trips to Denver to help us with celebrations - I wouldn't have been surprised. That is just like Cliff and Marilyn.

. . .the only time I would ever see Cliff sweat was when he had just finished cooking breakfast for a basketball team, only to realize lunch was rapidly approaching - that made me laugh.

. . .how hard I would laugh at SILOR when he saw an elk in the center of a town - I would have believed it.

. . .Char and I would take a 2,200-mile road trip to the Midwest - I’m not sure I would have believed it. But, I’m ready to do it again.

. . .the amount of time I would spend laughing with and at SORSO - I would have believed it. She really likes to laugh.

. . I would jump on a trampoline with a teenager and a seven year old and do so without breaking anything - I would have been grateful.

. . .that mastering guitar hero is a piece of cake - I’d know that was a lie. I never did get very good at it.

. . . how much we would smile when entering DOR’s classroom for the first time – I would have believed it.

. . .Char and I would celebrate Thanksgiving in Chicago and DOR would prepare a great meal - I’m not sure I would have believed that. It was just a year ago, her idea of gourmet food was boxed macaroni and cheese.

. . .how hard I would laugh as I watched SOR and SORSO walk into McDonalds on Thanksgiving morning all dressed up – I’d believed that.

. . .DOR and SILOR, SOR and SORSO, and Char and I would be on top the Sears Tower - I might not have believed that. That was great day of sight seeing in Chicago.

. . .I would be a little sad when Christmas got here - I wouldn’t have believed that. I had to stop being Santa to a couple of special kids a few hundred miles away and some kids in the neighborhood. But, Valentines Day and Easter are just around the corner.

. . .that Char and I would have Christmas with all the kids via a web cam - I wouldn’t have believed it. Fortunately, Char knew how to hook it all up.

2007 will go down as a year of change and great memories.

13 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Ralph said: She is usually right about things like that.
You might re-think this before Char gets a chance to read this.
You are in danger of having your 'man' license reviewed by the committee.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Well, Cliff, I am going to have to leave that one in - it falls under the TIB rule. (TIB + Truth In Blogging)
On a side note, I thought long and hard about putting it in because I knew I would hear about it - I just thought it would be from Char, not you.
Ralph

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Cliff!

8:35 PM  
Blogger 1 plus twins said...

what beautiful fun memories thanks for sharing. now about that guitar hero, i agree it is hard as hell and it pisses me off that my 10 yr old and 7 yr old twins can rock like rock stars with no problem!! that just isn't right. ha ha thank god in my world i can sing, dance, rock out and am damn funny!! ha ha

9:25 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

First, thanks for the BDay greeting to Mrs. Jim.

Ralph, this is a wonderful way to recap the year! It is just plain nice.
Now, ...
I always though that Colorado IS in the Midwest. I know your neighbor, Nebraska, is.
Somehow I missed ... No, I got it now.
If, our MacDonald's were to be open around here on Thanksgiving. We could all eat out for breakfast. Or any other meal.
[They close for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but were open New Years Day.]
You didn't even break the trampoline?

You did good, Ralph.
..

12:18 AM  
Blogger Janell said...

Good writing on a good year - much more interesting than most - make that ALL- of the "recaps" I've been seeing on TV, which usually name a 'top ten' of some kind. This was good reading.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Quite a wonderful year for you Ralph! I'm glad the Super Hero thing or the trampoline thing didn't land you in the ER! You must be very agile!

You had some good laughs and there's nothing better than that.
Maybe this year you can beat SILOR and DOR at golf in Illinois!

Great post Ralph!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

It was a pretty amazing year, wasn't it? I hope this year is even better!

10:37 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

It was a good year, thanks for sharing all of it with us along the way.

I bet one of next year's recap sentances starts with "If you would have told me I'd be ____ at Blogstock...."

3:12 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Uh-oh. Nora's blank sentence there makes me wonder what word will be there??! :)

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh...
Good Times! Good Times!
Can’t wait to have many more GREAT memories!


Great Post!

P.S
Jumping off the table still kills me!!!....LOL

5:00 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

If...thanks for re living the memories with us, Ralph. What a great post, and what a great year. I should say thank you for giving us the play by play all year long, it is nice to know you and thanks again for sharing!

4:50 AM  
Blogger possum said...

So glad I found your blog! I have so little time for blogging and reading, but I try real hard to keep up with you! Thanks for all the joy you spread around!

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home