Thursday, May 22, 2008

Avoid "Classic"

Earlier this week while passing through a town, I decided it was time for breakfast. Looking around there was a McDonald’s – most towns have a least one. There was a Mexican place offering breakfast burritos and a locally owned Deli and Bistro.

The Deli and Bistro only had four items on their breakfast menu. I decided to go with the Classic Breakfast Wrap, which was described as “a culinary blend of eggs, sausage, and herbs”.

It came in a green tortilla that was a little alarming, but the classic wrap had a nice aroma. I took the first bite and within seconds was spitting it out while muttering, “What the @#$%.”

The bad taste lingered even after several healthy gulps of ice tea. I stared at the classic breakfast wrap trying to recall the last time I had put anything that bad in my mouth.

Rarely do I send food back in restaurants. But this was bad – really, really bad. I took it back to the counter and told the waitress I didn’t care for it at all and would like my money back. She looked shocked while explaining the classic wrap was their most popular breakfast item. With the bad taste still lingering in my mouth I replied, in a nice way, I was glad but I wanted my money back.

As she was refunding my money I asked her what was in it. She said it was eggs scrambled with sausage and roasted sun dried tomatoes, topped with a creamy pesto sauce served in a spinach tortilla. She then got a little defensive while stating most people just love it, absolutely love it. I pocketed my money and left.

Cliff and I were talking later that night and I told him about this culinary marvel. When he quit laughing, which took awhile, he told me I should have been tipped off by the word classic. He said there is no such thing as “classic” food.

I think he’s right. From now on, I’m sticking with the “basic” breakfast.

10 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

"Classic" to me speaks of hamburgers, fries and shakes, or, in the case of breakfast: pancakes or french toast with bacon or sausage.

Nowhere in that list do you see the words "spinach wrap" or "creamy pesto sauce."

False advertising, that's what that was!

Blech.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

aravis is right. I don't remember anyone ever saying, "I just want to get back to the classic spinach wrap."
eewww

6:14 AM  
Blogger bobbie said...

Now, see - the spinach wrap would be OK. But the creamy pesto sauce would have stopped me cold.

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also dubious of the creamy pesto sauce. I don't think that eggs should have a sauce on them.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Sorry you had such a nasty bite of food Ralph!! I think the pesto sauce was the bad taste. I'm always leary of those breakfast wraps.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I've bought those green tortillas before. They are good.
I'm not too sure about that Classic Breakfast Burrito.
I'll take your advice and not order it.
Of course, I doubt I'll ever go to that particular restaurant you went to.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Actually it sounds good to me, what did it taste like?

10:59 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

If I've learned one thing in my 25 years in the restaurant business it is don't mess with breakfast.

Lucy, from his description, I'm guessing that it tasted like poop - with a creamy pesto sauce.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Janell said...

Pesto is an acquired taste. I don't think I've acquired yet either, Ralph.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds positively gruesome! I am "down" with the anti-pesto movement... especially at breakfast! Deb

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home