Thursday, May 08, 2008

What Goes Around. . .

Quite a few people in our subdivision turned their sprinkling systems on, some started six weeks ago. After a freeze or two, several people spent last weekend repairing busted pipes.

I want warm weather too but I refused to turn my sprinklers on that early. A few days ago, the front lawn needed some water so I decided to do it the “old fashion” way. I drug out the hose and attached a sprinkler.

Before long, a little four-year-old neighbor girl came running over yelling, “Hi Ralph! Is that a new sprinkler? I’ve never seen one like that before!”

I generally try not to lie to four year olds. They’re old enough to handle the truth. I told her I’ve had that sprinkler for a long time (about fifteen years).

Then she did just what you would expect, she stuck her hand in the stream of water . . . and then her foot. You could tell from the glimmer in her eye she wanted to run through it. Fearing the wrath of her mother, I thought this would be a good time to send her home.

It also got me thinking about how fast things are changing, and how eventually everything comes back into style. Well. . . maybe not everything.

10 Comments:

Blogger bobbie said...

You were probably wise to send the child home before a real soaking.

I love the old candlestick phones. We had one when I was a child. Had a party line too.

The new scheduling from Blogger is easy. When you finish your post, just hit "Options" first, put in whatever date and time you want it published, and hit "Publish". It will stay there until the date, and publish automatically. Neat, huh?

11:54 AM  
Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Ralph! Welcome back. We missed you.

It is amazing how children find something so old and simple fascinating. To see the look on their face is truly priceless. I think I would have let the little girl run through the sprinkler and faced the mom later.

The new blogger scheduling is great. I have done it several times myself. I like it. Lisa

2:08 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

You know Ralph I was getting worried about you. I thought you really had run for the hills!!

Mr. Bell would be shocked to see what phones look like now!!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Tell Bobbie that if she wants to post date a blog, just publish it as is without the optional time.
Then bring it to edit and change the time to whenever she wants it to say.
It will post again, but this time post dated. I have done both, scheduling and post dating.

Now speaking of golf, Mrs. Jim and I are bringing golf clubs up for the 4th and surounding times.
Will we be having a friendly golf tournament then? Mrs. Jim and I will play Tekamah and either Blair or Oakland also. Others if there is a need. We will play some in Iowa also.
And speaking of golf, we played today, we are getting practiced up for July!
..

8:39 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Actually, those phones did come back into style, albeit updated. I have one for my cabin that looks like the old box version with the receiver that hangs on the side. Haven't used it yet as I'm still fixing and repairing the place, but I'm looking forward to its eventual use. :0)

Ah, those great old days of running through those sprinklers. Happy times.

And the wry comment about early sprinkler users and their subsequent burst pipes had me laughing! *G*

10:50 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Love the old phone. I bet it's a great conversation piece too!
I remember that unbearable urge to run through a sprinkler. Gee, I think that happened to me last summer...

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You evoke great memories, Ralph! I love that old phone! I can barely operate my cell phone - just keep it for emergencies... my stubby little fingers always hit more than one button when I attempt dialing. I like my wooden wall phone, even though it has buttons and not a rotary dial.

Have you ever seen a child introduced to a rotary dial? It's pretty funny - they can't figure it out for a while... Deb

5:34 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I'd have a hard time fitting that old telephone in my purse. I guess it would need a super-long cord to reach from my house to Wal-mart and other places.

I LOVED those years when my kids were young and would run through the sprinklers.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Boy, you must really be old, look at that phone! Yes, the world has changed and right now it's going a little too fast for me.

6:10 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

I think my sprinker is even older, and I only run over it with the lawn mower once or twice a summer.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home