Monday, April 07, 2008

Cliff Sitting

I have never done much babysitting and there is a good reason why. It’s usually a full time job just keeping myself under control.

But, Marilyn called and asked if I would baby sit Cliff this past weekend. She sounded desperate; I think I was her last hope. I like Marilyn, so I agreed to watch Cliff but made it perfectly clear – I don’t do diapers.

Marilyn dropped Cliff off on Friday with a long list of “Instructions for Caring for Cliff”. A few of the key ones were:

-- Needs to be fed at least 3 times a day with snacks in between.
-- Now that he is in the city, you may need to retrain him in the potty department.
-- Do NOT take him shopping. Mall concrete drains the energy out of his legs and you will have to carry him.
-- Tuck him into bed around midnight with a story. If he gives you any trouble just tell him you have a headache.

Did I happen to mention I never done much babysitting? To make matters worse, Char was not feeling well so the bulk of Cliff sitting fell back on me.

I did the best I could. I fed him. Granted it was not as good as some of the meals you can get on the farm – but he didn’t starve. And he would just have to suffer with a tummy ache because I was not going to burp him.

After his tummy was feeling better, I decided to take him to the ‘park’. The ‘park’ in this case was a couple of golf courses where he had a good times playing with the other kids. Yes, Cliff beat me at golf but there was a reason. I was the “adult in charge” and figured he would just cry and fuss if he didn’t win so I deliberately threw the game. (Okay, that’s a lie.)

We told a few a stories and had a lot of laughs. We even did a little planning for Blogstock (thanks to Char and Marilyn).

Cliff sitting is not that bad – I’d consider doing it again.

12 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Did you play any board games or cards? When I baby sit, I usually get sucked into those games. But, I try to get the group to watch a movie, even if I'm watching a Disney movie with them.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

It's a tough job, Ralph. But someone's gotta do it.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph, thanks so much for watching my "baby". He came home in good shape and very happy. He thinks you are the better cook however and has been bugging me to go play with Ralph again. Love ya..Marilyn

3:54 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Cathy, neither Ralph or I can stay awake for the full length of a commercial so watching a movie is out of the question.
Ralph, thanks for all the good times and letting me play with you and your friends. I had a great time.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Ha-ha-ha! You guys are a barrel of laughs.
I'm sure glad Cliff is already potty trained and I hope you get to babysit again soon.
:)

4:57 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I'm glad that Cliff didn't give your any grief and that the two you add fun.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

Thanks for the chuckle...I needed that.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

"There's a job for everybody...and there's somebody for every job." You're brave. Nice goin'.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

The picture in my mind of you trying to burp Cliff is rather funny!!! LOL

I'm glad you got to babysit. It must be hard finding a sitter for Cliff, since she brought him so far!! Either that or you are his favorite sitter!! I'll bet that's it!

Glad you had a great visit and got to play some golf!!

7:43 PM  
Blogger bobbie said...

You two seem to be good for one another - and good for some laughs for the rest of us too.

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was too funny - I laughed out loud.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I was going to ask if Cliff liked being babysat by you, or what horror stories he might have told Marilyn. But he seems to have enjoyed himself. Of course, Marilyn might have kept any negative comments to herself in the hopes that you'd babysit again soon.

But I tend to think that a good time was had by all. :0)

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home