Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Future President

Today I met the future President. Not for the United States but of the Starbucks corporation.

I usually don’t stop at Starbucks. Since they are a national chain, I just try to avoid them. But, I had a gift card and there is one on every corner.

When I walked in the two young ladies working there were talking. They were very professional and stopped and took my order. “I’d like a medium coffee of the day with room for cream.” I said.

She rang up my order and said, “So you would like a Grande Guatemala Casi Cielo with room. Anything to eat?”

I glanced at the coffee cup sizes – yes, a medium was a Grande. I stared at the coffee of the day – yes, it was Guatemala Casi Cielo. And yes, I wanted room for cream. “No, that should do it.” I replied.

As she turned to get my coffee she resumed her conversation with the other lady working, “I really don’t know what his problem is. I’m a very simple person. . . . in a complex sort of way.”

I started to chuckle. This lady had found her true calling in life. She will be the President of the Starbucks corporation.

Only at Starbucks, you can get a ‘skinny cinnamon dolce frappuccino with a double shot, extra hot, no whipped cream, and sprinkles’. It’s simply coffee. . . in a complex sort of way.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I summarize my coffee preference this way: I like coffee if it costs at least $3 a cup. Nice and simple!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Janell said...

Yeah, me too. I'm just a Redneck extra large Cornhusker, double self significant but nothing special, no embellishment, a capella in a complex sort of way. I'd like the Senior Citizens discount, please.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Ralph, I'm betting on her not being president of anything. She sounded very rude and non-caring towards her customers. How does she expect to get many votes? Or anything accomplished through her office?

Wait, I had forgotten what it takes to be a president now-a-days.
..

1:54 PM  
Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Ralph! Starbucks is one of my favorite places. Vente Pumpkin-Spice Latte. Lisa

4:49 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

You know, I have never been to Starbucks....I don't drink coffee so I have never gone to one....Do they sell Hot Chocolate?

9:14 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

We really confused people at my coffeehouse. We had the nerve to call our cup sizes Small, Medium and Large.
The nerve!

4:45 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

There are newspapers who pay good money on a daily basis for writing like this. Really good.
I read your last post too. That stinks eh? We were playing golf and sweating in Corpus for three days and run into snow in Dallas on the way home. Go figure.

5:51 AM  
Blogger possum said...

If they ever start a Starbucks anonymous group, I will be in the front row... oh, no, wait, that means I would be trying to stop drinking Starbucks... sigh. I am not there yet. Actually my addiction is limited to a bottle (or two)of Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino a day. I can buy it at the local grocery store. Good thing, too, because the nearest Starbucks is 65 miles away! Now that is Boondock living at its best! And I have been in that place only once! I was so confused by what people were saying and asking for, I chickened out and grabbed my familiar bottle of Mocha out of the case and escaped.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Took a swig of that stuff once and called it "Charbucks." A few years later tried another swigs. Called it "Charbucks" again and haven't been back.

Of course, because my Daughter and Her Husband own a coffee roastery is part of the reason I don't go back. I'm thinking of taking a couple of their pounds of "roasted-to-perfection" to Nebraska this summer. Nothing complex about that.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I have never been to a Starbucks. Sounds complicated!

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the humorous slant on your 'slice of life' coffee tale. I've never been to a Starbucks. Working from home, contending with the hectic commute from kitchen to office, I have learned to settle for a percolator on the gas stove... frugal and available in the mug of my choice. Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of the bean. The best part, to me, is the smell as it percolates.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home