Thursday, February 28, 2008

Fun and Games

Have you ever wondered how much fun and games can be crammed into a weekend? To find out you should take a whirlwind trip to Illinois with Char and I. The answer is - a lot.


After calling and waking us up, DOR (Daughter of Ralph) picked us up early Saturday morning and we drove to the SOR’s (Son of Ralph’s) and SORSO’s (Son of Ralph’s Significant Other) house.

We went to a seven year olds basketball game. I don’t know if he was the leading scorer but he scored ten points. Prior to that game his high had been two points. It was a fun game to watch.

Then it was off to the fourteen year olds solo vocal competition. She did a wonderful job of singing ‘Amazing Grace’. Another fun event and she took second in the competition. Somehow, a bouquet of flowers ended up behind a door and she was surprised when they were given to her.

Have you eaten at Meat Heads? Probably not, as this is the only one in the nation according to the guy who stopped by our table. The food was good but ordering it was a complicated process. They have too many choices of toppings and sides and extra's.
Later in the day, SORSO made some really great tacos for dinner. As much laughing as she was doing, it’s a wonder she was able to prepare dinner.

Then it was off to SILOR’s (Son in law of Ralph’s) last college basketball game. The game went into overtime where SILOR scored six points making a victory possible for his school. The game was exciting but SILOR was under a great deal of pressure. It was an away game and we were there as his personnel cheering section. To make matters worse, right before the game the seven year old walked up to him and said, “I made ten points at my game. Do you think you can do that?” I have no idea who put him up to that . . . well, maybe I do. At the end of regulation play SILOR had nine points, good thing it went into overtime.

Then we had a birthday party for SILOR. SOR and SORSO did a nice job of making the arrangements. This too was a fun time, full of laughter.

The next morning Char spent some time playing board games with the kids. Yep, more fun as can be seen in the picture.

We spent the first and last night with our good friend Millie. We had a great visit with her adding that much more too all the fun we had.

But there was a downside. At DOR’s and SILOR’s apartment, I learned playing video golf is as frustrating as the actual game.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Ralph! It sounds like a fun filled and exhausting time. You have very talented grandkids. You should be, and I am sure you are, very proud. Well gonna go. The cat is sitting on my lap, making it hard to type. Have a good day. Lisa.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

You certainly did get a lot of things in during a short time. It's more fun that way I think!! I know they were all so thrilled to see you and Char. Glad you had a safe trip too, since I know how you love to fly!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

See I always have pictured that as a two day driving trip each way with a stop in Tekamah each way. of course that's six days right there and you haven't visited anyone worth mentioning. So probably a solid plan. Don't let anyone shoot you out of the top of that tree.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Family fun and games are the best. They leave us exhausted but with lots of great memories. We're looking forward to seeing our youngest grandchild play soccer soon.

About Meat Heads....I hate going in a restaurant for the first time and they know it is your first time because you don't know the drill. I want to find it on the menu, order it and only have to tell them what side order.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hey Ralph, are you are having fun now? I'll answer for you, YES!!!!

Did you play any games with the kids? My grandkids won't play with me any more, I play for keeps.

Is it warmer in the Windy City Land than in Colorado?

Tell 'Seeker' you are there. You could attend her church this Sunday if you are still around! She'd be honored to be visited by Mr. Blogstock himself.
..

10:45 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

That sounds like such a fun weekend! I wonder who that "someone" was who kept popping up in your story, created smiles and mischief. *G*

12:37 PM  
Blogger Janell said...

Sounds like a great weekend, Ralph. My husband would agree with you about the frustrations level of the video golf game.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

You must be a lot younger than I am and in a lot better shape. Just the first two events would have knocked me out!
Isn't it great that the kids did so well when you were there to see them perform?
Maybe they tried extra hard just for you.
Glad you had a good time.

8:46 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Ralph ~ Meat Head it what my EX-father in law used to refer to me as back in the early 70's. I think it was because "Archie Bunker" used to call his SIL that name. But I am still around and he's now my EX FIL! ~ jb///

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home