Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Birthday Surprise

All the arrangements had been made and everything was in place. I picked out a nice flower arrangement and took it my florist friend at the store. Telling her what it was for she added some additional flowers and “freshened up” (replaced) a few others. I spent a great deal of time looking for a card I liked. Then, somehow, managed to smuggle everything into the house and hide it without being spotted.

Early Monday morning I prepared the surprise. I got the flowers from their hiding spot, signed the card, and made Char a nice cup of tea. Upstairs I pushed open the bedroom door, turned on the light, and loudly announced, “Looks like someone’s having a birthday today!”

The following conversation took place:

Char (sitting up in bed laughing): Yeah, somebody is, but not me.
Ralph (speechless):
Char (still laughing): My birthday is tomorrow.
Ralph: But . . . but today’s the 12th.
Char (still laughing): No, Ralph. Today is the eleventh.
Ralph: No (fill in the blank) !!

The surprise was on me. When Char finally quit laughing, I gave her the flowers. She would have to wait one more day for the card.

I was also surprised to learn – why you don’t earn any extra martial points, you don’t lose any by celebrating your spouse’s birthday early.

15 Comments:

Blogger Live Well, Laugh Often and Love Much said...

All I can say is ....
FATHER LIKE SON!

GREAT POST !

6:49 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Well Ralph, at least you almost had it right!!

Wish her a belated Happy Birthday from me.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Shady Gardener said...

I'd say so!! No lost points at all, esp. when now you have another day for which to prepare!! ha. :-)

9:24 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I forgot that Char and I share a birthday. Happy belated birthday Char! He just loves you so much that he wanted to start celebrating early- you're worth it! ;0)

10:12 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

Better to be a day early than not at all.

12:16 AM  
Blogger bobbie said...

Oh, I love this! And happy birthday, Char!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Given that:
1. We sent Char a Happy Birthday text...
2: AND given we got the following info from you..."It's tomorrow."
3: I assume the text was a day early also.
4: but that's okay because we're not family and can be expected to be wrong.
5:You however, are, and can't.
I think you receive only a .6 deduction on points for getting the wrong day.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

LOL! This is priceless. Hey, at least you remembered her Birthday, even if it was a day early.
You are a good husband!

8:10 PM  
Blogger EV said...

Slick! Lol.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Better early than late.

But I kinda feel sorry for you. You worked so hard for the one you love.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Happy birthday Char, hope you liked the card!!!!!!

3:19 AM  
Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

Happy Birthday, Char!

5:14 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

I love celebrating birthday eve!
Happy birthday to Char!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Lanny said...

Ouch, but at least you know what day her birthday is, a good calendar can solve this problem!

12:06 AM  
Blogger Janell said...

You and Char are both AWESOME!

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home