Monday, December 07, 2009

Cold Feet

DOR (Daughter of Ralph – a.k.a. Tiffany) and I do not agree on the story behind this picture. Back then, she was young and her memory not as trained at capturing the details as mine. Here’s what REALLY happened back in 1992 when this picture was taken.

Waking up in the night I laid in bed sensing something was wrong. I didn’t know what but I had that feeling that something was seriously out of place. Getting out of the warm, comfortable, bed I started looking around to see what was causing the uneasy feeling. Walking downstairs, I spotted the front door open! I checked and double-checked it before going to bed! Heat was pouring outside and everybody outside could come in. Something is wrong.

I closed the door and then made a rapid sweep thought the rooms on the main level of the house. No intruders, nothing out of place. I ran upstairs to check. Nathan was sleeping soundly. DOR was . . . . GONE!! Somebody had broken into the house and taken her!

By now, Char had joined in the search for our beloved daughter. She opened the door and looked outside. There our precious little girl was wandering aimlessly around the backyard in the snow.

DOR was a sleep walker. Numerous times, she had wandered into our room in the middle of the night to tell us something that made absolutely no sense. We had found her sleep walking downstairs. Often we would find her sleeping walking in her room or the hallway. Once, after letting out a piercing scream we found her asleep standing on the bed having a fistfight with an imaginary girl.

But, this was the first time she had gone outside. We brought her into the house, warmed her up and woke her up. Noticing how red her feet were did cause some concern. It also caused me to grab my camera, take her back outside, and get a picture.

Now DOR’s version of this event is she was playing in the back yard and her feet got cold. I’m sure the passage of time, seventeen years to be exact, has distorted her memory. So there you have it, DOR’s version or the truth – you decide. Either way the important thing is - she still has ten toes.

14 Comments:

Blogger Shady Gardener said...

That had to be frightening! So glad the outcome was good... and that it's just an uneventful? memory. :-)

8:56 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

We have a lenghty history of sleep walkers in our family so I tend to believe you Ralph. Sorry T.
What a night that was for you.

5:26 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Our youngest daughter (about age 5 or 6) once came storming into the living room about 11:00 p.m. yelling, "Well, will somebody please answer the phone." She answered it and said, "They hung up." Then she went back to bed. Of course, the phone never rang at all.

So I think your part of the story is probably more accurate than your DOR's.

7:44 AM  
Anonymous DOR said...

Wow! I am wondering if any of you have ever met my father. If you have you would know that this is clearly a "Ralph" story. The true story is that I was about 12 years old and thought it would be cool to stand in the snow barefoot. And there may have been a dollar or two involved in there somewhere.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

DOR
Like I said - you were young and your memory not as trained at capturing the details as mine.
By the way, that picture came from a slide that had the date stamped in it - it was taken in 1992. You were 8 years old at the time, not 12. If you don't remember how old you were how can you accurately recall the events?
Okay, people you make the call. I'm not saying DOR is wrong but. . .
Ralph

12:23 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Well, here feet certainly are red. I'm glad she still has all her toes. As for the story, Char was there so you have a witness! I'm assuming her story matches yours, so I'll vote that you are telling the correct story!

That sleep walking stuff would be scary, and dangerous!

2:49 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Akkkk! I hope to never see a photograph of my foot looking like that!
All's well that ends well?

3:45 PM  
Blogger Live Well, Laugh Often and Love Much said...

True or not...Sleep walking or not...Money or not... ONLY A CAMPBELL would do this to have a story 17 years later!

Great Post !

4:38 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

The date on the slide evidence reminds me of someone who once said, "If it does not fit, you must acquit."
Sorry DOR, I'm goin with Ralph on this one.

11:20 PM  
Anonymous dor said...

I'm requesting a photo of the slide. Let's let everyone see that date

11:42 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Your Honor, I'm requesting permission to treat this witness as 'Hostile.'

5:38 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I would have been terrified if I had found one of my kids missing in the middle of the night. Thank the Lord she was safe. Her poor little toes sure did look cold.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

I thought I had already commented here but now I'm glad I had not. It is important to hear all the testimony before passing a verdict. As much as I want to favor DOR, it appears the evidence is stacked in Ralph's favor. I'm with Rachel, however,and believe Char must weigh in with her recollection of the event as the final say.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

That was some hard core sleep walking!
I like both stories, but yours is funnier, so I'll believe your version.
Sorry, DOR... cute feet though!
:-)

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home