Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Sad Day

This darn near made me cry. I read it on the internet and almost broke down in tears. I’m sure it will tug at your heartstring as well.

FUNERAL WITH BAGPIPES

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a grave-side service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Kentucky back-country.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost; and being a typical man I didn't stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight.

There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play.

The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this homeless man.

And as I played "Amazing Grace" the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

As I was opening the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "Sweet Mother of Jesus, I never seen nothin' like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for over twenty years!”

12 Comments:

Blogger Granny Annie said...

It will be "A Sad Day" when we catch you Ralph!

4:46 AM  
Blogger Live Well, Laugh Often and Love Much said...

A Sad Sad Day.....
I will wipe off my tears of LAUGHTER !

6:40 AM  
Blogger Janell said...

I'm laughing so hard I can hardly see my keyboard! (ILSHICHSMK)

3:31 PM  
Blogger Shady Gardener said...

Someone sent me the same thing. Very Funny!! ha.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

It's jokes like this that make me glad you're not retired and around the computer more with time to do this. But funny.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Some people just like septic tank jokes!
We still have septic tanks in East Texas, next time I go I'll see if I can find you some more.
..

1:04 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

I was all prepared to read of the death of a loved one or at least a pet Ralph, you got us with that one.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

This will leave a tickle in me all day! Thanks for the good laugh!

Oh, but I do love the pipes!!!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHA!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I got here on Sunday, looking for a "Sunday Funny." I got one. It's great. Thanks.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I like what Granny Annie said!! LOL

Cute joke Ralph!! Bagpipes at a KY funeral are rare indeed, and even rarer at septic tanks being put in!!

9:24 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Ralph ~ The first time I read this it just cracked me up! Sort of like when I read your post on my blog about buying Sher and I lunch next time we were in town. Believe me, we thought about you and Char when we were there and if I would have had your phone number, I would have called (free lunch or not!) ~ jb///

12:55 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

Ralph, as usual, you had me going there! This was a good one! Thanks for making me laugh this evening!

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home