Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Rule of 55

Jack Lemmon once said, “If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.”

Yesterday was to be my first golf outing. Instead I got a phone call shortly after 8:00 and learned the rule of 55. It’s a pretty simple rule – if it doesn’t look like the temperature is going to reach 55 by the first scheduled tee time we cancel. The group I’m in is a pretty casual bunch of guys who just like going out and playing golf. I hear they sometimes even keep score.

I was to tee off at 10:36. At that time the temperature was forty-eight. So instead of playing golf a few of us met at the clubhouse and had lunch – a long lunch. In early afternoon it was interesting to listen to people coming in off the course. There were a lot of comments like, “It’s a lot colder out there than it looks” and “It is Spring, right?” I’m sure the wind and the light drizzle that was falling didn’t help.

We had a good lunch and all left hoping for better weather next week.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

I think skipping the golf and going straight to the lunch is not a bad idea. Especially when the air is so cold it makes your hands hurt.

5:02 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

I never believed golfing was really about golf anyway:)

6:56 AM  
Blogger Live Well, Laugh Often and Love Much said...

I think you guys are just a bunch of weenies! OK, I will lay off a bit... I guess I forget that you are not in "Normal" with sunny and 75 degree weather !

7:03 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

All in all, I'd say you had a very pleasant golfing experience! Nice lunch, good friends, how does it get better than that?
Maybe you will even get to hit a ball next time...

8:56 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I never have understand why people will bang 'n' chase that little ball for four hours, just to get together afterward for lunch/drinks. Why don't you just get together for lunch/drinks from the get go? Oh well. (My B-I-L is an exceptional golfer.)

Ralph, if you have a new e-mail address, will you please e-mail us so we can get you back on our "list." Thanks.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

I'm a warmer weather golfer myself. It most generally is 55 by tee time here, I don't get real early ones. I am not a hot weather golfer. If it will be over 98 by noon I don't play.
..

12:11 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

50 and no wind works for me especially if the sun is shining.
I have a friend that use to bowl one night a week. Their team decided they really just liked the social side so for the past 15 or more years they have met every Wednesday night for supper/dinner during the "bowling season."

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home