Thursday, November 18, 2010

Topics of Conversation

Yesterday I attended my first old fogies’ luncheon. Quarterly everyone who has retired from the forest service is invited to the old fogies luncheon. It’s a time when we can visit with one another and get caught up on life’s happening. It’s an informal gathering. If you can make it fine, if not we’ll see you next time. Seven of us attended yesterday’s event. Attendance was down due to hunting season.

Looking around the table I had many thoughts running through my head. I had literally trusted some of these people with my life while on forest fires and they had trust me with theirs. We had gone through a lot of good times as well as survived the bad times together. All these people had helped me throughout my career. I hope I returned the favor.

Suddenly, I started to laugh.

I remember sitting around tables with these same people 25 to 35 years ago. We drank beers while telling forest fire fighting stories, talking about the issues with raising families, talking about weekend events, and complaining about crappy pay raises.

Yesterday, we sat around the table sipping on ice tea talking about insurance premiums, medicare, and the health benefits of fish oil.

Topics of conversation do change over the years.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Isn't that wonderful! It is a wonder though that they don't drink much beer anymore. Our group even has beer at funerals.

Our group has an 'ex-Philco Tech Rep' luncheon every last Thursday of the month. We had been meeting at the Out Post Tavern in Webster, Texas, near NASA. Have had after funeral lunch there for retires too!

But it got sold out from under them by the landlord. That is the one that the Space Cowboys (movie) would meet. Now we meet Carlos'.
..

3:17 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

That's telling your age Ralph! You are right, our conversations do change over the years!

You all are not "old fogies" though!! Just retired folks!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Good post and boy did the time fly. Make the most of it. Keep up the Gumpy Old Man persona.
Yeah, like you wouldn't do that automatic ally.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Lanny said...

Wait, I knew beer was a gateway beverage, I had no idea that it would lead to ice tea! I thought I would finally be able to handle grown-up drinks like a martini if I drank enough beer.

Sheesh Ralph, this is a bad spin I tell ya.

Hey, I don't know what is up with my blog. Right now, because of our random power outages in the area, we are having "technical difficulties". I can't get e-mail from my itsthedirt.com addresses or, golly, go to facebook. But somethings I can access, go figure. As soon as we quit having "technical difficulties" I will hop on my site and just put you on as a user, as long as you promise not to publish any outlandish articles!

9:58 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

That's funny!

Did they wonder why you started laughing, or did they just assume you had lost it? *G*

12:03 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

How very true.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Such a great post. Yes fish oil seems to be the topic for lots of us these days.

3:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home