Monday, March 21, 2005

The First Day

Today is Vic’s first day in Heaven. My father in law passed away this morning, March 21, 2005.

As with any trip, I imagine the first day is filled with a little uncertainty. Will I get there all right, what will it be like, what arrangements have been made? Here is how I envision Vic’s first day in Heaven.

Immediately upon his arrival, he is greeted by a multitude of family and friends. Standing at the front of the line is Tenny, his wife of forty-nine years. She had gone ahead of him and is certainly glad to see him now. She is surrounded by a host of others also waiting to greet him.

While Vic is glad to see everyone, he is a little concerned. He can’t find his walker and his oxygen tube; they had been his constant companions for years down on earth. Finally, someone tells he won’t need them in Heaven and a broad grin crosses his face. He takes a deep breath and a few brisk steps, smiling all that much more. Yes, things are definitely better in Heaven.

Tenny and a few close friends take him around to get him familiar with Heaven. Vic always liked being familiar with his surrounding. Along the way, he meets a lot of people and has a lot questions answered. Then although they had met years ago, Vic has his first face-to-face conversation with God. It is a pleasant conversation, it a private conversation, but it is one that left him knowing while his life on earth was not perfect he had done good things and had made some good decisions. Vic leaves his meeting with God smiling all that much more.

He is now led to the banquet table that has been prepared especially for him. It’s a long table with a vast variety of food. He is told that can eat what ever he wants. Don’t worry about the salt content – you left those trouble on earth. Sugar is okay too after all there is no such thing as diabetes in Heaven. Heading down the banquet line Vic takes a small cup of soup, he could take a bowl but soup is one of those foods where, “a little goes a long way”. Next comes the vegetable portion of the banquet. Vic’s eyes them carefully and continues filling up his plate, passing on the broccoli and brussel sprouts - you know some things don’t change, even in heaven

With a full plate, he heads towards the table that has been reserved for him. His place is in the center. It a long table full of family and friends all who have made this trip before him. They stand and applaud as he takes his place; after all, today he is the guest of honor. God stops by and placing a loving hand on Vic’s shoulder tells him to enjoy today as well as eternity.

So, there is Vic at a huge table, surrounded with family and friend. The food he loves filling his plate. His smile is wider than it was his last few years here on earth, his laugher a little stronger and more sincere. He is sitting there surrounded by love ones with a dish of jello in one hand and a saltshaker in the other.

Enjoy the meal Vic.

9 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Thanks Ralph. I know Vic and Tenny have a lot to talk about.
I can't believe I had that big, warm handshake from him just 2 days ago. We told him we'd see him later, and I plan on it. I hope he saves me a place on the end of that table. You know how I hate to be crowded.
I'm so glad he had his mental capacity in tact to the end. What a blessing. He was a stately old Gentleman.
Also, Thanks for the call. cliff
ps. you can put the jar back in the basement until I get old.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

While Vic is surrounded by loved ones in Heaven, I know that you are feeling his absence here on Earth. I'm so sorry for your loss.

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for the wonderful image of heavan. I hope that Vic's banquet included big bowls of cream cheese frosting!

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph, what a great visual you have given everyone. We are sorry for your loss, please give all of your family our Love. God Bless.
Dan, Julie, Madi, and Tom

7:34 AM  
Blogger bridgesitter said...

Ralph, I want to thank you too for that great visual picture of heaven. I know there is heartache on your side of the veil, but oh the joyous wonder for your father in-law Vic. My best to you and your wife.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Thanks everyone for the comments, the e-mails, and the phone calls. They are truly appreciated. I am not going to lie - this is a hard time. But past the hard time are a lot of good memories.
Ralph

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was one of the most touching things I have read in a long time. What a tribute.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Astrid said...

Ralph, I am so sorry to hear that your father in law has passed away, but I love the story .. it nearly makes me want to pack my bags and go to Heaven as well. I hope Vic is in safe and nurturing hands now! Treasure the good times that you had together! Hugs, Astrid.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Gel said...

Lovingly written by you.
No matter how long a person lives, the loss is huge. I wish you and your family the comfort of memories and the continued strength of your love for one another. You wrote of him so vividly each and every post, I feel honored for that glimpse into his life.
Tearfully,
Gel

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home