Thursday, February 24, 2005

Where's Mom

Every family is different. I don’t believe there is a “right” or “wrong” way to run a household. It’s whatever works for you and your family.

In our house, as long as I can remember, whenever there was a problem, a life changing dilemma, or even a perceived situation our kids would take it to their Mother rather than to me. While she does handle change and problems in a good way, I have always wondered why the kids went to her. She doesn’t have the dramatic flare I bring to the table. She can rant and rave - but rarely does. Then, while she is a very smart lady, she has never mastered the effective use of adjectives.

It happened again last night. The front door flew up and our son came in. The first words out of his mouth were, “Where’s Mom?”

“What’s up Nate?” I countered.

“Not much. Where’s Mom?” He was on a mission.

After he went upstairs and had a few minutes to chat with his mother, I decided it was time to see what was going on. I entered the room and asked in a casual voice (okay, it wasn’t so casual) what was going on. Nate looked at me, and then looked at his mom, then back again at me before he took it to the next level with the statement – “Mom, should I tell him?” Fortunately, everything was fine.

Unfortunately, it now seems like I have to ‘get permission’ to know what is going on. Oh well, I guess it works for us.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Too bad about your situation Ralph. I'm the boss in my family. I know I am because I just called Marilyn and She gave me permission to tell you.

5:57 AM  
Blogger bridgesitter said...

That is correct Ralph. You do need permission to find out what is going on. Especially if you want to add your two cents worth. Many a woman has had to iron out wrinkles put in the fabric of family life by words that would have been better left unsaid.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

Yeah, I do this with my mom too - it's to preserve my father's low blood pressure for as long as possible. (Usually about 3 minutes)

8:26 AM  
Blogger Gel said...

(Cliff & Bridgesitter ROFL)-
Ralph, could definitely relate. In fact, at times, he comes up the stairs or into an open room where my daughters and I are...we're not even "bonding", but they hush up, so poor dad has felt excluded. I called a family mtg. (It was me, b/c I'm the boss, of course ;) & the mediator & the soother & the ...

Most have probably heard the saying: "A man works from sun to sun, but a woman's work is never done!" Well, I bet the women have heard it! Oh my, I think I just posted a sexist saying, which is NOT like me.

4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home