Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Self-Conscious

With the exception of writing, I have never been self-conscious about anything. At just a smidge over five foot six inches tall I know I am not the tallest guy in the world. But, I’m all right with it; I mean my feet touch the ground – that’s all I need. With each passing day, I am losing more hair. It doesn’t bother me but if it bothers you just say so – I’ll turn my head so the glare doesn’t hit you directly in the eye. Then there is the weight thing. As people age they tend to “put on a few pounds”. I am no exception. Please don’t call it a beer belly, let’s refer to as a liquid grain storage bin. But, the tennis shoes I bought a couple of days ago are making me revisit this whole self-conscious thing.

These tennis shoes are white. I am not talking about just white, they are amazingly white, and they might even glow in the dark. Walking down the halls at my office, at the airport terminal, has caused me a little stress. When people are looking down, as they often do, I am sure they are staring at these tennis shoes. Now, I am thinking I need to leave the office before it gets dark. I mean, if the lights go out they might want me to stand by the runway so approaching planes can stay on course.

I think I’ll leave early and go shoe shopping.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

Ah Ralph, a little extra visibility is never a bad thing. I too, used to have very white tennies, now reserved for night bike rides, which - as you know - I don't do. But I can't throw them out either.

That will be your next problem - what to do with the white shoes?

6:13 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Hey Ralph, I'd like to find a pair of those shoes, like my grandkids have, that have lights on them, in a mens 12. Imagine meeting my 20 something boys in a Lincoln Restaurant for dinner.
I can hear them now, "Dad, sit down, put your feet under the table".

12:00 PM  
Blogger bridgesitter said...

All you guys have the best sense of humor. Personally I think a day walking with the cows would fix your shoes Ralph. Got any chickens? Ducks are good at it too! That thing with the hair my husband can relate to. He saw a picture I had taken of him playing with the dogs and his jaw dropped. "Is that what my head looks like?" eeeck! He's been hiding his head in a hat ever since. Sometimes I knock the bill off when he's sleeping 8-) hee hee

3:08 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

I smiled at your post. :)
My kids always insist that I dirty up my sneakers a whole lot. I like them white, but that is not "cool" to them, even to be seen w/ their mom wearing the uncool sneaks.

Cliff, LOL!

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home