Tuesday, January 11, 2005

A Home Based Business

I want to focus more on retirement rather than a second career. Yet, I recently discovered I am the sole proprietor of a home based business.

It started when my wife decided we needed a new sofa and love seat. Now, we have an understanding, I don’t tell her how to decorate and she doesn’t tell which me which vineyards to visits. It’s weird but it works for us. Anyway, over coffee I found out the new furniture is in. The conversation went somewhat like this.

“So what are we going to do with that furniture?” I asked pointing to the sofa and loveseat in the family room.
“Well, I think we will put it in the basement.”
“What! Why don’t we just get rid of them?”
“Well, there really isn’t anything wrong with them.”
“If there is nothing wrong why did we get new ones?”
“It sags in the middle,” she replied with a touch of frustration in her voice.
I immediately grabbed my stomach and stated I sag a little but didn’t want to be replace.

Silence. I’ll admit it; this made me a little nervous so I made a mental note to ride my bike more.

Foolishly, I continued, “We are running out of room in the basement”

Silence. I really need to ride that bike more. I went to the basement.

With the impending arrival of the sofa and loveseat I made a mental list of the what had accumulated there; two sofas, one love seat, a dining room table with chairs, a kitchen table with chairs, a roll-top desk, one double bed, a recliner, a hope chest (after 26 years she is still hoping), a folding table, and assorted throw rugs.

Next time you come to visit I’ll take you to the basement. You will see several signs in the stairwell – “Welcome to Ralph’s Near New Shop”, “Huge Inventory, Everything Must Go”, “No Interest or Payments till 2007”.

I’ve always wanted my own business.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ralph's Homespun Headlines, you have a great blog here. A Home Based Business caught my eye and I thought I would put a post on it. I'm looking for help.

The site I have is a work from home in the uk site. Its all about, need I say it, working from home. I think people should have the choice to build their own income instead of somebody else’s. Freedom of well being and all of that...anyway I was on your site looking for ways to help my business. I'm really looking for ways of building better rapport between recruits.

Anyways Ralph's Homespun Headlines thanks for the great blog. I'll just have to carry on my search till I find what I'm looking for. Take care.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home