Thursday, January 06, 2005

Weather Reports, Gas Gauges, and People

The morning weather report was not that bad - mostly cloudy and cold with highs in the mid 20s turning colder with snow showers late in the afternoon and evening. I decided to go to Fort Collins. Started the car the gas gauge read three quarters full.

At 9:30, it was snowing, so much for the accuracy of weather reports. A little after noon, the snowflakes were quite large and coming down pretty heavy. Several people had mentioned how slick the streets were getting so it was time to head back to Denver. I would drive slow and everything would be fine.

Heading south on I-25 the roads were icy but did not seem that bad at least until the car started to chug, sputter, and gradually slow down. Moving off the highway, I scanned the gauges. That is when the gas gauge drop from three quarters to past the dreaded ‘E’. I had run out of gas.

As soon as I was off the highway, I called the office and asked for Joe. Now, you may not know this about me, but when things are not going well I have very little tolerance for chit-chat, such as “How are the roads?” and “Where are you?” So, somewhat abruptly, I asked for Joe again. When Joe got on the phone, I explained the problem. There were no questions; there was no chit-chat. Just Joe saying, “I’ll take care of it. I’m on my way.” Joe is one those guys that means what he says. I could see him standing there with his coat in one hand waiting to hang up so he could get going. When its sixteen degrees, with strong winds, and snowing heavy you really appreciate guys like Joe.

I stayed outside the car making sure the snow did not cover up the flashers. Walking the length of the car on the shoulder between I-25 and the frontage road, I can truly say I discovered what cold was. But, Joe was on his way and doing so as fast as he could.

Amazing about fifteen people stopped to help. Several offered to take me to a gas station. One guy took off his stocking cap and offered it to me saying it would be a lot warm than my ball cap. Two offered to get gas and bring it back. One man offered up the rest of the coffee in his thermos. I accepted some in a slightly used paper cup that was rolling around the floor of his truck.

The day was full of lessons. Never trust weather reports. Never trust gas gauges. But, thanks to Joe and the people who stopped, I learned again that people, for the most part, are good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home