Sunday, January 30, 2005

Shakin' Things Up

In the previous post, I wrote about cooking without salt. While the meals are not bad they are still a little a bland. So, I decided to “shake things up” and make my father in a law a nice . . . no, a great chef salad. It might have been the greatest chef salad ever made.

When building the greatest chef salad ever, one that is sure to shake things up, the container is critical. Searching through what we had I could not locate one I liked. Making a quick jaunt to the store, I found it. It held 6.3 cups and, because it was clear, wouldn’t hinder the “presentation” of the meal. It was perfect.

Next, you need a good base. My base was not to be iceberg lettuce. Oh no, I put together a blend of Romaine, red cabbage, baby spinach, spring greens, and butter lettuce. It looked good enough to eat right then, but we were just getting started. Celery, cucumber, avocado, and tomatoes were added. Then a touch of cheese and shredded turkey for flavor. There had to be eight cups of ingredients in a six-cup container but it was not done yet. It was topped off with a sliced hard-boiled egg and some shredded carrots, again, for presentation. This salad was guaranteed to give him a lot of flavor and shake things up. I took it to Vic with a great deal of pride and pleasure.

The next day I took Vic his meals. As soon as walked in the door he told me not to bring him a chef salad again. It seems like all those vegetables shook up the ‘internally workings’ of that eighty-six year old man every thirty minutes from three o’clock in the morning on.

If you need a 6.3 cup container, let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home