Sunday, January 23, 2005

Multi-tasking

Multi-tasking is the fine art if doing two or more things at the same time. Many people pride themselves on how well they can do this. I meet a person who took a lot of satisfaction in the fact that he could do two, and often times three, things at the same time. All I said was, “If none of those deserve your full attention why do them?” I don’t remember his answer but I did notice we didn’t get a Christmas card from him this past year. I’ve seen a person have a call on the office phone, one on the cell phone, trying to respond to an e-mail, while someone was setting in their office. They were trying to – what would that be – quad-tasking?

Now we are making appliances multi-task as well. My calculator died. Not an issue just get another one. I purchased one for under $20 and hooked it up. Not only does it do all the things a calculator is suppose to do but it can tell you the day, date, and time around the world. I don’t think I have ever balanced the checkbook while wondered what time it was in Sweden.

1 Comments:

Blogger bridgesitter said...

Hi Ralph, I had to laugh at your take on multitasking. Though it does seem like something always suffers from accomplishing this it's a mandate in getting a job. It seems any job out there requires that you do multitasking and yet offer superb customer service. Can you still smile and be genuinely warm with customers while performing your job? Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Why of course! I'm a multitasker. It's right up there with "are you a team player?". Must haves in todays job market. To me the irony of this technology that promised it would simplify our lives has added alot more chaos. To be successful in the job market we are required to perform numerous tasks and make it appear as though they are one. We are supposed to be proud of this fact. Is it any wonder why he seemed self satisfied with this? That's probably how he got his job. And about your calculator, the company is just trying to keep ahead of the next guy. How many varieties of tooth brushes are out there? It will never stop. Everything and everybody has got to be better then the
one before.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home