Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Freeze Dried

If you are outside with me the first thing you will notice is I always wear a hat. Generally, it is a ball cap. My favorite, at the moment, is from Cabela’s. It started a couple years back and, like most things in my life, at the kitchen table. My wife, Charlene, walked in and announced, “Something is wrong with your head.”

“A lot of people say that, it’s not a new concept,” I replied.

“No, I’m serious,” she went on.

“I think most those other people were too,” I declared.

But suddenly it dawned on me, Charlene was the only one that had moved all four strands of hair and was rubbing my scalp. “You have two hard yellow blisters. You ought to get them looked at.” Trying to act nonchalant, I slowly pulled out a 3x5 index card and jotted, Call Doctor - Cancer.

Early the next morning I called the doctor, which is always a stress-inducing event. Like most men I only call the doctor when it is really, really necessary. The thought of having skin cancer made it really, really necessary. Of course, as fate would have it, the next available appointment was two weeks away. It doesn’t matter if you’re dying or not, you have to wait the two weeks. It’s amazing how many times you can feel the top of your head in two weeks.

Two weeks later setting in the doctors office, they take your blood pressure. The nurse got a little concerned because my blood pressure reading was high. Well hell, I’ve got cancer what does she expect!

Finally, the doctor came in and glances at the top of my head. Heads must be to doctors what mites are to foresters, once you’ve seen it a hundred times you really don’t need to study the damage very long. “Well, it’s a mild form of cancer if left untreated it could get worst. We can treat it now or treat it later.” Alright, I’m going to live! “You’re not going to suck another $10 co-payment out of me, Doc. Let’s do it now.”

As he pulls out an upscale version of an arc welder, I noticed his hands are shaky. So I started asking questions - lots and lots of questions. He explains he is going to freeze the blister so they scab over and fall off. I keep asking questions, he starts playing with the arc welder while explaining the blisters (and that portion of my head) will basically be freeze dried. GREAT! I envisioned myself going around wearing a hat which reads: Freeze Dried, Just Add Water. Finally you are told to lower your head and hold it steady.

As it turned out I had the mildest form of skin cancer and it was in the first stage, sun damaged skin, which blisters. Sun damaged skin is dramatically increasing in Colorado. More cases have been reported this year that ever before. And yes, if left untreated it can, over time, manifest into more severe skin cancer.

So whether your in Colorado or not, whether you have a full head of hair or not, wear a hat.

5 Comments:

Blogger Astrid said...

Oh my, scary stuff!!! Okay, I got a mission for today, I NEED to go hat - shopping!

So how is your head these days? Are your brains still fully in tact or are they now working even better? Hehe ..

Miles of smiles,

Astrid.

4:40 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Ralph, Thank you for checking that out. I'll keep an Eye on my head.
Neither one of us has time to drive 600 miles to a funeral.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

In your line of work, it's important to wear a hat, or perhaps even part of your job. I'm so glad you had this immediately checked out and that it was taken care of, pronto! :)

You told this shaky experience with a charming mixture of candor and seriousness. I hope others who read your important post, will wear hats. Too many folks don't. Take care

5:27 PM  
Blogger bridgesitter said...

Ralph you painted a great picture in my mind of your morning with Charlene. "Call Doctor, Cancer" so dramatic!!You had me in stitches. I can just see you, (even though I've never seen you) flipping the hat off, rubbing your palm across your head over and over. Great writing! I was laughing out loud. On a serious note, I'm glad you took care of that. Skin cancer is very prevelant, and with all those holes in the ozone those rays are so much stronger then they used to be. okay, I'll shut up now. ttfn
ps I was wondering If I'd have to reach through the screen and shake you to get you writing again. bye

10:23 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Great post... glad the skin cancer was not more serious.

Having grown up in Florida I know that I am at risk. Skin cancer is now not that unusual... anyone who has been here since the fifties usually has regular visits to a dermatologist to have their various skin cancers treated or cut out. My husband had been under the knife for skin cancer removal numerous times. So far I have been lucky.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home