Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Daily Special

Do not, I repeat, do not read and eat at the same time. At least if your spouse gives you a book by a well-known chef.

It is 9:00 PM on a Monday night and once again, I am in a hotel. It’s a hotel I stay at frequently. I would rather be home but the travel goes with the territory. Another day of meetings, another day full of urgent items, has ended.

Walking into the restaurant at the hotel, I know the menu by heart but decided to look at it nonetheless. Nothing looks good so I glanced at the daily special. It was grilled salmon on a Caesar salad with a vinaigrette dressing. I’ll try it with a large ice tea.

When it arrived, it looked okay. It tasted, well okay, not good, not bad, but okay. At least until chapter five of the book when the chef warns never eats fish on Monday. He then went on to explain why you NEVER, NEVER, EVER eat a salad with fish on Monday that has its true flavor hidden by a vingarette or a bunch of dressing.

Laying the fork down in mid-bite, I asked for the check, saltine crackers, and a Budweiser. I am still not sure why I wanted the crackers.

2 Comments:

Blogger bridgesitter said...

why can't you eat fish on a salad on monday with vinegrette?

12:15 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Maybe you *needed* those crackers to atone for swiping condiments? ;)

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home