Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Dust Bowl

I have been known to be a little vocal about the inaccuracy of weather forecaster on our local television channels. Okay, I’ve been known to be quite vocal about their uncanny ability to get it wrong 97% of the time, crack a joke and draw a large paycheck. Anybody else with that poor of a track record would be looking for another job. But, in their defense they did hit it right today. They said we would have high winds ranging from 40 – 60 MPH most of the day.

Two to four times a week I make a joyful little 122 mile round trip drive from Denver to Fort Collins. On my return trip yesterday the radio said the winds were blowing at 60 MPH with gusts to 80 MPH. Please keep in mind, radio weather forecasters are only a step above those on TV. But the wind was blowing and it was blowing hard. Visibility was limited because of all the dust in the air. It was like we were in the dust bowl.

Back in the 1930’s the mid-west experienced the dust bowl. I’ve read stories, seen photographs, and even had the privilege of visiting with a school teacher (no, not my wife) who lived through that era. It was a hard and dirty time. The school teacher from Nebraska told me that an hour before school she would wash all the desks to get the dust off. Only to have the desks completely covered with dust by noon. My adventure on the interstate was not nearly as difficult or as lengthy as what they had to deal with. I am sure by tomorrow the wind will die down and it will be a nice day. But for an hour it was a little worrisome.

Cliff wrote a poem about losing a bag of bean seed due to high winds. Hang on Cliff, something from Colorado is heading your way.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Hey Ralph, it's already too windy to load rocks here in Eastern Nebraska, keep your wind. By the way, unlike you and Terah down in Kansas, our high winds seldom top 50. (this excepting storms) I'll bet 80 is tricky to drive in.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Cliff, I really doubt if it hit 80. I do know, I had both hands on the wheel, my knuckles were white, and my forearms were really sore by the time I got to Denver.
Ralph

8:27 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Ralph, I'm just thankful you're ok, if a little dusty. ;0)

12:38 PM  
Blogger bridgesitter said...

Yes it's been windy here too. There are trees some topping 100 feet or more, that look like they would just love to bend down and give your house a nice little kiss. Thankfully we've been spared such affection.

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home