Thursday, June 30, 2005

Espresso Love

I was getting a little concerned. Pedaling the bike up the hill, my toes started to tingle. That tingling sensation was increasing and spreading through my feet and to the bottom half of my calves. Trying to determine what was causing it, the conclusion had to be Espresso Love. That made me contemplate the events leading up the tingling sensation.

Steve and I had done several 500 miles bike rides together. However, this year he was doing one and I another. I sent him an e-mail about getting nervous because of my lack of training. Almost immediately, he replied, “Ralph, your in luck I have some great stuff that will help you. I’ll send it you. I just wish it tasted better.”

Now Steve is one of those guys that when he tells you he’ll send you something you might as well go out to the mailbox and wait because it is on its way. True to form, a couple of days later there was the package from Steve. Opening the package a hand written note fell on the table. It read, “Not enough time to training? No worries with Espresso Love. Don’t OD on this. Just wish it tasted better.”

Espresso Love is a new flavor of GU. GU, in case you don’t know, is an energy gel sold in small packets. You squeeze the contents of the packet in your mouth, take a couple gulps of water, and you have some good energy for 45 minutes or so. It is widely used by bikers and marathoners. Espresso Love is a new flavor I had yet to try but it sounded promising. It contains twice the amount of caffeine as other GU products. I threw the twelve packs Steve sent in my bike bag.

The ride this day was steep, and long. To make matters worse, it was hot with the temperatures in the high 90’s low 100’s. Suddenly, I remembered Espresso Love. Ripping open a packet and squeezing some into my mouth I - well, I gagged. Steve was right about the taste. It tasted remarkably like stuffing your mouth with a handful of burnt coffee grounds. I tried to kill the taste by putting it on a banana. All that did was ruin a perfectly good banana. I washed it down with some water while telling myself it works so get over the taste.

Several miles down the road, I still had the taste in mouth and was encountering a stiff headwind. Bracing myself, I consumed another packet of Espresso Love. A few moments later, I noticed a steep incline so I consumed yet another packet.

I realized what had happened. I had eaten three packets of Espresso Love within an hour. I did what Steve had warned me about – I overdosed on Espresso Love!

I arrived at that day’s destination. Eventually, the tingling sensation wore off but it was well past midnight before I fell asleep.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rhodent said...

Doesn't sound yummy at all! Glad the effects wore off!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

So I guess you could say that you were really feeling the Love that day? Ouch! Yes, I know that was bad but I couldn't help myself.

Glad you made it up that incline, and even more glad that the effects of Espresso Love wore off!

11:21 PM  
Blogger bridgesitter said...

You gotta be careful Ralph when you're trying out new stuff. Have you ever had chocolate covered coffee beans? Now those are to die for. Maybe I shouldn't put it that way. Next time try munching on some of those, but be warned, very addicting!!!
I'm very happy you're back safe and filling us in on the details.

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a coffee drinker but what a gr8 name for coffee. Sorry it kicked in so strongly. I admire you for your bike shape. No wonder you have legs to show off. Glad you're back safely, too. It's also neat seeing pix of you and Cliff, putting the face to the names.

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home