Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Playing in the Dirt

Sorry I haven’t been posting much lately I’ve been – well, I’ve been playing in the dirt. The rain has finally stopped and the winds have calmed down so I have been busy out in the yard and garden.

Cliff, and others who truly make their living from the land, might disagree but when you set in an office or meetings most the day there is something therapeutic, maybe even magical, about going home and working in the yard and the garden. Pulling weeds will never be one of my favorite past times but it does a great job of calming you down and helping you relax. But, my favorite form of playing in the dirt is the garden. Right now it is still full of weeds and yes, even last years plants which have died off. But, it is fun to rip them out, imagine what it will look like, and get it ready for another “crop”. That means you have to play in the dirt, get your hands dirty, and most likely relax a little.

How relaxing is it? For me quite a bit. There are two ways I can tell. First for the past few mornings after playing in the dirt, I can actually say the words ‘attorneys and accountants’ without prefixing them with an adjective. The second way, which I am seriously considering, is I want to build a sandbox in my office.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rhodent said...

I know a lot of people who love to garden and weed... they find it relaxing. Somehow,I just have never been able to get that out of it. I have orchids which are convenient to water, and I enjoy them. I had a vegetable garden in the past that I really loved... but I HATED the weeding!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Hi Ralph,
I'm pleased to read that you've been relaxing. Your blog title so aptly fits your posts-truly homespun. I read this and imagined you out in the fresh air, tending to your family's garden.

I love nature, but Spring doesn't agree with me. That pollen does a number on me, so we have a natural garden, weeds and all. That's why I photograph *other* peoples flowers or gardens. :)

10:37 PM  
Blogger bridgesitter said...

Hi Ralph, I loved this post because I could truly relate. Now that I have no problem on the outside I can't wait for warm weather. I love getting my hands dirty in the soil, my knees and feet anything I possibly can. I can sit and weed for hours, there's just something about pulling those suckers up slow and making sure you have all the roots, then cultivating the soil with my fingers until it's smooth, rockless, just waiting for some beautiful flowers. I find it to be very therapeutic also, it slows the world down for me a bit so I can enjoy the wonderful scents and textures of our world.
I'm very glad you are back posting, and don't make us wait so long for the next one, okay?

10:50 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

It sounds wonderful, and I hope you figure out a way to get that sandbox! The only office I have is my home office, and with two cats I fear a sandbox is out of the question. *G*

I really enjoy my flower garden, though with some work being done on our house I have to let it go this year other than to try to weed it sometimes. I'll have to wait and see what survives the workmen, and then I'll go back in and fix it up properly again. Unfortunately my yard and garden are full of poison ivy which originates in my neighbor's yard, so I get that at least once a year. But the feeling of seeing the results in my garden makes it worthwhile! :0)

11:21 PM  
Blogger Whurlie said...

I wish you a bevy of lady bugs, and an army of earthworms to help you with your 'playtime', my dear Ralph! And don't sweat the blogging regimen, my little tree-hugger, like the posies and the t'maters, good things take time and the best ones don't show their faces til they're ready, just keep it coming.

P.S. The Pilot says, "keep them treetops outta my airspace and I'll keep my airplane outta them trees!-Best Regards!"

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home