Saturday, April 23, 2005

America's Sport


Every year my ex-boss, a couple other friends, and I go to a few afternoon baseball games. I am not a big sports fan. I don't know the players, I don't know the stat's, and I don't know their record. I usually don't even know who we are playing until we get to the park. But there is something magical about baseball.

Setting in the stands with friends on a sunny afternoon with bags of peanuts, boxes of cracker jacks, an adult beverage in a plastic cup and yes . . . the hotdog. There is also something magical about eating a hotdog at a ball game. They just taste better. Nowhere else can you get a hotdog with that same flavor. I am not a big hotdog fan but ball parks have great hotdogs.

Then there are the people and conversations. A few talk about work, some talk about the game, most are chatting about a wide variety of things until you hear the crack of the bat - then everyone's attention turns back to the game.

It is truly America's favorite sport.
Posted by Hello

6 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

I played baseball in Little League in TX, one of only three girls in the league. I was the only one left by the end of the season. They didn't like little girls playing baseball there. But they took us to a major league game and it was fun. I was a CT. Yankee transplant and not too happy about it, so I rooted for the Detroit Tigers instead of the Texas Rangers. I received a lot of dirty looks and elbows in the side but I didn't care, it was fun!

I miss the baseball of the old days though, back when the game seemed to mean something not only to the fans but to the players as well. I'm tired of these athletes (all sports) who are in it for the best contract, not for love of the game.

These days, I think I'd rather watch Little League. *G*

11:42 AM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

You make me want to go catch a game!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Astrid said...

Oh, I guess that makes me a good tourist then for every time I visit the States I also visit a baseball - game! Go Pirates go!!!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Ralph, it's a toss-up. Ballpark dogs, or Char's dogs.... I'll go with Char's. I think I was only missing the game before. (no atmosphere) If you know what I mean.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Ralphie! Wherfore art thou Ralphie? 8:>

3:31 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Smiling: :D about the taste of hotdogs being better @ a ballgame. (I've only been to one baseball game, so I have no idea!)
Aravis, interesting. :)

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home