Friday, April 15, 2005

I Love April



Today is Arbor Day in Colorado. As a forester, you have to love it. Arbor Day started in Nebraska back in 1872 by J. Sterling Morton. Mr. Morton was a journalist and politician as well as the editor of Nebraska's first newspaper. That gave him the forum he needed to share information about agricultural practices and tree planting.

The intent was to set aside one day a year (in Colorado it always the third Friday in April) to plant trees. Notice I said the intent. It pretty well dominates my entire month and for the most part is a lot of fun. It makes a lot of the other "stuff" seem worthwhile.

My April is always full of City Council meetings talking about Arbor Day, tree planting events, and school programs. This year I have a lot of school programs, but no where close to my personal best of 94 school presentations set a few years back. I admit it, I really like the school programs and tree planting events a lot more than City Council meetings.

Early next week I will be putting up a story about one of the school planting I attended. It was probably one of the most touching school plantings I have ever been to. Kids are so honest.

Well, April will soon be over and than it be back to budgets and contracts. Until then, I am going to enjoy each and every tree planting and school event. Who know, I might even enjoy one or two City Council meetings.

Plant a tree. Posted by Hello

4 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

It sounds as though you're having fun doing important work. Good luck! :0)

11:47 AM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

For some reason Florida doesn't seem to do much with Arbor Day... it's hard to even find someone who knows what day it is celebrated around here... I think it varies from community to community. People seem to be more interested in what trees they can cut down to build something. Sigh.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Atta boy Ralph.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Proud of you :)

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home