Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Dry Spells

It stormed most of the weekend. It started early Saturday morning with a light mist. Then over the course of the next three days, we had everything - everything but sunshine that is. We had periods of mist followed by periods of heavy rain, the weather forecasters said it was coming down at the rate of an inch an hour. Five hailstorms passed over us between Sunday and Monday. We were pounded by lightening. Twenty houses surrounding us were struck by lightening. To make matters worse, it was constantly overcast and gray.

There were however, periods when the storms stopped. These dry spells contained high expectations. During one dry spell, I went out to work in the garden. There were puddles of standing water, no gardening occurred, but I did wonder about the corn on the Morrow farm. During another dry spell, I contemplated a bike ride. Just about that time, the rain started again. During another dry spell I went for a brisk walk that turned into an all out run when the hail started. So, while I had high expectations during some of these dry spells they never did materialized.

I am going through a dry spell with my writing. For whatever reason, I am having a hard time writing. It doesn’t matter if it’s my journals, my blog site, working on the scrapbooks, or even a historical project I am working on. Words are not flowing easy right now. But, I have high expectation just the opposite of this weekend. My expectations are that when this dry spell ends I will be saturated with great stories and ideas.

5 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

Thanks for the great images, including the walk that turned into a run! I hope the dry spells of your writing pass soon.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Whurlie said...

Sometimes, when I have a dry spell, I find that it helps to read something I've been saving for a rainy day. It's kind of like quenching your thirst when you're really parched. . .

Maybe you're holding backing something that needs to be said and your spirit won't let you say anything else until you say what's really on your mind. . .

It will work itself out, it might be an excercise in patience.

As Garrison Keillor likes to say in the Writer's Almanac*:

"Be well, do good work, and keep in touch."®



*http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/

9:38 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Ralph, you got me to thinking that you're describing our lives. We think that after the next shower there will be perpetual sunshine, but it seems the storm clouds are always nearby. The challenge is to remember the umbrella so as to endure.

12:21 PM  
Blogger bridgesitter said...

The thing about the storms is, if you were in a plane flying above it all, you'd think you were in heaven. It's really amazing. Umbrella's, is that what Cliff said? Oregonians don't use umbrellas, I don't know why, you just don't see them around here. I think people just expect to get wet, and if they don't they're pleasantly surprised or something. Glad you're writing Ralph.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

You can always do what "L" does... post an ugly art picture! Or perhaps just a picture of the puddles in your garden... we just like to know that you are still there!

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home